Next Speaker Project (Forum)

by Ray P, Tuesday, November 09, 2010, 13:05 (4917 days ago)

Hello all and greetings from the UK; this is my first post here.

I'm currently using Lowther EX4s in a pair of Ketil Parow's 'All Fun Horn' cabinets and continue to enjoy my music with them (rest of the system is a Vacuum State modified Sony SACD player and a Transcendent SE-OTL amplifier).

Anyway, I'm tempted to venture into new territory and have been looking at the DIY Orphean horn, which, I guess, is positively viewed around here. The questions start around what to couple it with to infill the bass region.

I could stick with Bert's bass units (are drawings available for these anywhere?) but am tempted by some corner horns, such as the Eckhorn ATS/ATK - my listening room is around 5m by 4m so using the corners would seem sensible? I assume mounting Orpheans on top of corner bass units would be acceptable, with some experimentation on alignment?

I've seen the material on the Eckhorns that was listed on another topic here but I don't do German and some of the plans material seems to be missing. Also, it's difficult to determine what sort of match they would be for the Orpheans - they appear to not hold up to the frequencies that the Orpheans operate from? I'm also struggling to understand the difference between the ATS and the ATK? Can anyone help? Are full plans available?

I would also be keen to hear any recommendations for alternatives?

I'm sure there will be more questions but that will do for now....

Ray

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread