Some questions about bass integration and XOs (Oris Horns)

by Bert @, Wednesday, December 19, 2007, 23:11 (5973 days ago) @ Rooze

Hello Rooze,

Digital correcting things is something I never liked and never will like unless I have a very wrong system that "needs" artificial surgery to get some balance out of it.

Just the idea of molesting the digital data (or even worse if it is translating analog data into digital and then start molesting even further). :grazy:

On normal DAC's oversampling is doing things most friendly and that is already something I do not like as it changes the original recording into something else.

For good sound you'll need correct working speakers which can perfectly be filtered in a passive analog way (if you know what you are doing that is...).

If you need/want to EQ your room then the best way is to add another bass system (one or 2 channels) and let those correct the peaks of your room by anti-phase signals doing the opposite your room is doing. This way the main system can stay clean from digital distortion.

I simply hate those advertisements claming their digital EQ to be the perfect solution which they are not and never will be, the only thing these try to do, while adding their own signature, is to correct faults created by wrong designed, tuned and placed systems. :fool:

Spend more time to optimise those systems first so that you'll need less drastic medicine to cure the remaining problems (if any serious ones are left to cure!)

Okay, that said, back to the topic.

I'm using Fostex 208E in Oris 150, there are two stacked Oris per side
(John Kalinowski design).

I have large bass towers with Fostex 16" drivers, sealed enclosure.

No problem here, should work well together, even better if they are properly time aligned and in your situation (d 'Apolito) this also means the height of the bass driver. :yes:

Firstly, does anyone know what the efficiency is of the horn towers in
this arrangement? - I've read opinions online varying from 100 - 110db

I would expect the normal average sensitivity of the "naked" driver plus approximately 12dB (6dB from the horn and another 6dB because of using two drivers/horns per channel).

...set the main horn towers as pass-through so they're running full range, the
sound becomes more dynamic, the presence is there, but the bass becomes
soft and poorly defined. It sounds like a phase issue but supposedly the
Lyngdorf takes care of any time alignment and phase issues with it's room
correction DSP?

Not using a digital filter/EQ for the horns gives you back the speed, clarity, presence and dynamics....less usually brings more!!

So how do others run their horns, do you use high pass filters or run them
full range and have overlap through a broader frequency range with the bass
drivers?

For my system I do not use any digital device to correct things except for the subwoofer (used only for frequencies below 30Hz and correcting a boost at 35Hz).

I would kick out the digital "master" for the horns and make a normal passive filter for those (12,18 or 24dB). Just copy the slopes and curve you've created with the digits as you seem to like the result in that area...

You can then use the digits to optimise the bass towards the horns (delay, EQ) without touching the horns!

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread