Some questions about bass integration and XOs (Oris Horns)

by Rooze ⌂ @, Wisc USA, Tuesday, December 18, 2007, 22:46 (5972 days ago)

Hello all,

I was hoping someone might help with a couple setup issues, I've trawled the archives but can't find a solution.

I'm using Fostex 208E in Oris 150, there are two stacked Oris per side (John Kalinowski design).
I have large bass towers with Fostex 16" drivers, sealed enclosure.

Firstly, does anyone know what the efficiency is of the horn towers in this arrangement? - I've read opinions online varying from 100 - 110db

My issues with this system have always been concerning crossovers and integration of the bass. In the past week I bought a Lyngdorf TDAi 2200 amp which offers some amazing flexibility but brings its own problems along too!

The TDAi offers a 2-way XO, a digital 200w amp, DAC, and room correction. I have it set using the inbuilt amp driving my bass towers, and line-outs to control Cary 2A3 driving the horn towers. I have the XO set at 155hz 1/8 Linkwitz. I haven't messed with the various filter options. When I set the highpass at 155 the bass integration is seamless, but the sound loses out in the presence region (which seems odd). Vocals become recessed, instruments lose their dynamic feel, string sound softer etc. This doesn't make sense to me, since I'm cutting the horns below 155 and I wouldn't have thought that would have much sonic impact on what appears to be the midrange frequencies. (Can anyone help me understand this please?) When I set the main horn towers as passthrough so they're running full range, the sound becomes more dynamic, the presence is there, but the bass becomes soft and poorly defined. It sounds like a phase issue but supposedly the Lyngdorf takes care of any time alignment and phase issues with it's room correction DSP?
So how do others run their horns, do you use highpass filters or run them fullrange and have overlap through a broader frequency range with the bass drivers?
What can you suggest to improve bass integration -

Thanks for any insights

Rooze

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread