Some questions about bass integration and XOs (Oris Horns)

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Wednesday, December 19, 2007, 13:45 (5944 days ago) @ Rooze

Rooze,

At first I would have said the same as GC, and the only thing to really learn from it, is that you shouldn't mess with these things when you're not experienced on it. Well, since GC now told my story, here's another one I had in mind :

Assuming that the Xover by itself is okay (which it IMO would not with 1/8 Lw), there's two effects that might trick you :

1. Masking
2. Influencing.

Both phenomena are just interpretations from myself and how I perceive things; No science here !

Ad 1.
When more bass is added, highs get masked from it. So you could say the highs become more "muffled" from it.

Ad 2.
When more bass is added, the waves coming from it, will be influencing the high waves physically. You could say that the highs ride on the bass waves, which btw physically would be true in the source material like an LP or even digital data.

In all cases (adding) bass influences the high tones.

Furthermore, and this is what GC said/implied, a means of filter (depending on that means) will or will not change phase. Thus, when polarity between bass/high originally is ok, the filter may change the polarity of one of them, implying that you must switch +/- of one of them (either).
When 24L/R is in there, it might be best to start with that one. Also, on the matter of steepness of the rolloff, think on the slower rolloff requiering much more from the driver (e.g. if the mid really stops at 155, you might need to set the xover at well over 200 with 1/8 -> you can do the math on it, with an octave scale at frequencies in front of you).

2c Peter.

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread