A very good Lowther design that emerged.... (News)

by anubisgrau, Friday, September 28, 2007, 18:43 (6076 days ago) @ Bert

is a company called Teresonic - www.teresonic.com
I've had a chance to hear what they do with Lowthers. My conclusion is whoever is serious about these drivers should hear what these guys achieved with a variation of a TQWT horn and using Helmholz resonators inside to extend the low end and smoothen up the peaks. I don't know if it has to do with the new magnets or there are some wonders inside the cabinet, but it keeps everything good we all know about Lowthers but makes it less idiosyncratic.
I've heard 2 models, a really small standmouth monitor (!!!) type called Magus and the flagship Ingenium. The small one is probably less relevant for this forum although it perform quite sensational for such a small enclosure (-3db @ 55hz). In many aspects of the extension in a real room it is comparable to old quad ESL except that it is even more transparent, clean and can go very loud!
The real killer here is the big Teresonic Ingenium, the one that looks like a high, elegant letter S. My experience with Lowther is certainly far from yours guys, but I did hear Lowthers in different cabinets - sounding terrible and sounding great - but I've never heard it a) sounding so flat b) going so low. It's apparently measured -3db at 30hz - quite hard to believe! They certainly have no 101.5 db at the bottom freqs so they can't have a weight of the big cone, but big fun certainly they are and ****** hell they are seducing!
GC once you are back in Belgrade I'll take you to the manufacturer, it's a very noble place and the owner is a real gentleman (elec.engineer & opera singer:)), Bert - invitation open to you next time you are in Belgrade. :cool: Cheers!

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread