Lowther will be back here again... (News)

by Ivo, Saturday, September 22, 2007, 01:26 (6082 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert,

I remember when you stopped selling Lowther. You were choosing for AER and definitely not against Lowther.

When I started out in the fullrange driver scene (when that scene was very different), there was a clear understanding about price and performance. Ranking based on price was Visaton-Fostex-Lowther-AER, ranking based on sound quality was Visaton-Fostex-Lowther-AER... :wink: People seem more dogmatic about which brand they like now, possibly because there is so much choice and you can't try everything out for yourself.

I really like the AER drivers. In your Oris horns, they are probably the most non-speakerlike sounding speakers I have heard. The cohesion and freedom of material-sound is amazing. I do agree that it was not the most dynamic sound I have heard. I haven't heard the Orphean in its final state, but the prototype stage was very dynamic at least. :grin:

I still really like my Lowther PM6c drivers. I haven't reached the full potential of them in my system. One thing I should still do, is get your phaseplugs. I keep putting it off until I have 'finished' the midhorns. Of course, being a DIY-er, I am never finished... The horns are pretty good now though (very little added sound, just letting the drive unit do its work), and I am left with that midrange stuff that people were complaining about... when I got started in the fullrange driver scene.... :blush:

Anyway, good to hear you sell Lowther again, and I am interested to hear what the Hemp Acoustics stuff does. I just read that the ambition of the Hemp Acoustics people is to offer an alternative for every style driver on the market. Perhaps there is a low Q, rising treble fullranger for hornloading in the pipeline, too?

Ivo

PS: I am still very happy with my subhorn. :cool:

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread