Half-size Orelo VS traditional midbass horn (Orelo/Orelino)

by Bert @, Saturday, March 02, 2019, 19:48 (1882 days ago) @ RB

Hello RB,

My question is, what is the difference in sound between these two designs? Will the Orelo provide the 'snap' and dynamics of a horn?

Basically yes, perhaps a little less for not being as effecient as a well designed horn can be but with bonus having a bass without colouration and more friendly for bass difficult rooms. Also more efficient in the deepest frequencies... no subwoofer will be needed.

For the midbass horn, I was planning on using two Precision Devices PD153ER per side. I guess this may not be an optimal driver for OB application, as it has a very strong motor?

It depends how low you're going to EQ the bass (think excursion limits) and how loud you're going to play. With two 15" drivers in an Orelo you'll have plenty of headroom for normal domestic use...

Think that the range above 80Hz is very efficient already and at 100Hz just as efficient as a real horn unless it is designed for maximum efficiency at 100Hz of course...

Stronger than the BD15. While horn drivers should have very specific properties, are there any such properties that makes a driver suitable for this application?

The EBP is more important than a stronger magnet although related, the higher the EBP the higher frequency the driver can load a horn without loss ...

EBP=Fs/Qes

... for the rest is does not say much. A very strong magnet driving a relative heavy moving diaphragm will be less dynamic but more efficient in the deeper bass.

The spec's of the driver looks okay for use in the Orelo.

I would not EQ too low but flat down to 30 -35Hz will work out more than OK for most "work".

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread