Half-size Orelo VS traditional midbass horn (Orelo/Orelino)

by RB, Sunday, March 03, 2019, 11:24 (1873 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert, thank you very much for answering my questions! Here are some more when you have the time:smile:

The EBP is more important than a stronger magnet although related, the higher the EBP the higher frequency the driver can load a horn without loss ...

EBP=Fs/Qes

As far as I know there are three factors that limit the high frequency of a cone driver in a horn; VC inductance, airchamber in front of driver acting as LP filter and the so called fHM or mass-corner. fHM is defined as 2*Fs/Qts, while EBP is defined as Fs/Qes. So fHM is about twice the value of EBP, I don't understand this relation? Why is the value not the same?

According to this formula for fHM, the BD15 driver only has an upper frequency limit of 300Hz.
What does this really mean? The on-axis respons of the BD15 surely reaches much higher than this..

When I model a driver in Hornresp, the power response shows the effect of fHM as a quickly dropping HF response, but if I model the on axis response the HF of course much higher.
But isn't the on axis response what we are interested in?
Your BD15 driver can reach very high on-axis, so what is it about the fHM that limits it to 300hz in a horn? I guess it has to do with dispersion, but I thought the driver cone diameter was the limiting factor here..

So many questions:smile:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread