Introduction new member (BD-Design)

by Jelle, Tzum, The Netherlands, Monday, January 14, 2019, 12:45 (1929 days ago)
edited by Jelle, Monday, January 14, 2019, 12:50

Hello, my name is Jelle and i live in the Netherlands. I am working with audio equipment for the last twenty years, and have had different setups. Since the mid 90s i have a tube amplifier class A which has been build by a former collegea of mine. This one is still working, and has had several tubes spent.
I have begun with that tube amplifier with two 2-way speakers also build by that collegea, and until 2008 has done his job perfectly. In 2008 i moved to another house, with more space, and was able to experiment with different speaker configurations, primarily full range in an open baffle configuration. After having tried almost all of the Phillips full range speakers i could buy the Tangband 1808 speakers, which in my opinion are (compared to their pricing) very good speakers.
I then began to experiment with bass support to the full range 1808, and was able to buy a suitable open baffle casing for 2 15inch speakers (per site). With it was a bracket to put a horn on. Never thought i would get a horn, i bought the casing, and after a month or so 2 Oris 150 came on the market, so i immediately bought them.
In order to have enough power to handle all those speakers my Class A 13watt amplifier didn't seem enough anymore, so i decided to update my set with Hypex plate amps. I also was able to buy two Lowther PM4A full range speakers to replace my TB1808. That is what i am playing on today.
Underneath this article is a sum of my set.
I am still experimenting with settings/configurations, and i believe i still have plenty of room for improvements. Two parts i am focussing on at this time are:
1. configuration of the Hypex filter settings
2. improving bass output (Hypex filter settings and maybe box in the open baffle.
I have a bit of an odd setup at this time, my source goes into the plate amp (one each site), then the plate amp first amplified channel is for one bass speaker, the second amplified channel is for the second bass speaker, and i use the subwoofer not amplified channel to go to the the tube amplifier, which drives the full range in the Oris 150 horn.
Setup:
Source: sacd, cd, minidisk, turntable, usb input spotify
DAC: Schiit Bifrost with Uber Analog and USB card
2 Hypex AS2.100
Filter: Bass speakers LPF 150hz with +6Db, Lowther HPF 120Hz with 0db
Selfbuild Tube amp with 4 RCA JAN807 (and other manufacturers) and 2 12AU7 ecc82 pre-amps
4 Eminance Alpha 15A bass speakers
2 Lowther PM4A full range
2 Oris 150 horn
Ideas, opinions and so on are most appreciated, always willing to learn and better my system so i can enjoy it even more.
Tks Jelle
[image]

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread