My DIY 1/2 Orelo attempt. (Orelo/Orelino)

by Rudy81 @, Dallas, TX, Friday, April 05, 2013, 22:49 (4039 days ago) @ Rudy81

I used a calibrated Behringer microphone and REW 5 to evaluate the response of my prototype.

I needed to run these sweeps prior to continuing my build in order to evaluate the effect of changing the throat size from the 170mm that Bert recommended. Since this is not a horn, I wanted to see what the throat changes do. I need to decide on the throat size before continuing the build.

I tried the 170mm size, an intermediate 250mm and the full driver width of 370mm.

There is a response improvement between 160Hz and 600Hz with the 170mm throat vs. the 370mm. The 250mm plots fall right in between the 170mm and 370mm.

[image]
[image]

Right now I am leaning to the full 370mm throat...in the region I am interested, the response is nice and flat from 120Hz to 320Hz. With any of these throat settings, I will have to EQ the 80-120 Hz....unless the room adds some low end assistance which I am hoping will happen.

For comparison with my double bass bin, here is the response of that bin superimposed with the DIY Orelo. The DBB was tested a few years ago in the same outside location.

[image]

I would certainly appreciate any comments or suggestions.

My thanks to Bert for allowing me to work on this and to discuss this build on his forum.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread