Nice! Questions... (Orelo/Orelino)

by Rudy81 @, Dallas, TX, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 15:11 (4030 days ago) @ Bert

Bert,

[*]What was the measuring position?

I placed the mic 1 meter from the mouth of the wave guide, both on the ground and on a tripod midway between the drivers. The tripod readings were very similar, but seemed to show an anomaly due to tripod height above the ground. So, I went with the ground level readings.

[*]Why did you not try 120mm (or even smaller) as throath width?

I went down to 170mm and no less since I knew that is what you had used.

[*]Why did you not try another angle for the wings at the throat (making the horn mouth smaller)?

Again, I did my best to replicate your drawing. This is the angle which matched your dimensions. I know the pictures I provided make the throat look much wider than yours and I too noticed that. However, I tripple checked all the measurements and they match your drawings. I took another photo from a different perspective and the angle looks more like your shots.

The various throat sizes I tried proved to make just very minor changes. Here is a comparison of three throat sizes.

[image]

As far as the angle of the wings, this angle shows a perspective more in line with what your shots show.

[image]

Now, some questions for you Bert. I am getting ready to continue work on the project, but now comes the attaching of the wings etc. I need to make some final decisions on the build.

Due to the results I see, I am plenty happy with the response and the throat at 370mm. For some reason, I like looking at the entire driver cone vs. just a section of it. Just aesthetics I guess.

Do you think narrowing the angle near the throat will make a difference? I should have tried that, but did not think of it.

I am very open to suggestions at this stage.

Thanks,
Rudy

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread