Orphean Driver Question .......... (BD-Design)

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Thursday, December 05, 2019, 23:17 (1597 days ago)
edited by Kevin, Thursday, December 05, 2019, 23:36

I just happened to look up the Specs on the Orphean Drivers now and saw that the Freq. Response of them was 300-22KHz --- I have got my Hypex Crossovers set at 270 Hz. --- Is this a problem or am I not understanding something here (Probably)? Should I set them at 300 Hz. ?

4592ND
2" Coaxial Neodymium Compression Driver
Features :

Extended Bandwidth (300 - 22000 Hz)
Neodymium Magnet Assembly
With two subsystems in one, each Driver covers a smaller Frequency Range for increased Power Handling, high Dynamic and extremely low Distortion
Excellent Phase Coherence
Perfect Time Alignment without Problems of Multi-Source Interference
Ultra light Weight
8 or 16 Ohm

Orphean Driver Question ..........

by Bert @, Friday, December 06, 2019, 12:02 (1597 days ago) @ Kevin

I just happened to look up the Specs on the Orphean Drivers now and saw that the Freq. Response of them was 300-22KHz --- I have got my Hypex Crossovers set at 270 Hz. --- Is this a problem or am I not understanding something here (Probably)? Should I set them at 300 Hz. ?

The Orphean has an extended range in which it is capable to play music...

If your bass system is flat (frequency response) then the Hypex should be set to 242Hz as crossover frequency.

If not then this should be lower or higher to match the bass systems output. More important (yet still related) is the phase between both the bass and the Orphean.

Try to invert the phase and listen, if one setting sounds better then the other then you are pretty close to optimal.

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Friday, December 06, 2019, 13:29 (1597 days ago) @ Bert

If your bass system is flat (frequency response) then the Hypex should be set to 242Hz as crossover frequency.

Thanks for your reply. -- Does this meet your definition of flat?

[image]

by Bert @, Friday, December 06, 2019, 19:21 (1597 days ago) @ Kevin

Thanks for your reply. -- Does this meet your definition of flat?

[image]

Thanks! Tell me, what is it I am looking at?

Left and right speaker measured at the listening position?

And yes, for acoustical measurement this is "flat". :cool:

Crossover set to 270Hz? 12dB? 24dB?

Bert

--

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Saturday, December 07, 2019, 13:21 (1596 days ago) @ Bert
edited by Kevin, Saturday, December 07, 2019, 13:27

Thanks! Tell me, what is it I am looking at?

This is the Freq. Response Graph of a Stock Klipschorn Bass Bin (Which I use with my Orphean) At the listening position Both Speakers. Note: It is not the actual graph of my Bass Bin, it is stock photo.

I do not have the measurement gear to graph my actual setup.

by Bert @, Saturday, December 07, 2019, 14:56 (1596 days ago) @ Kevin

Thanks,

I do not have the measurement gear to graph my actual setup.

OK, then things have to be tuned by ear or get yourself some measuring tools (like REW -free software- and a cheap MiniDSP Mike 1 to be able to measure at home).

You never complaint about the sound, I am sure you're pretty close to optimal anyhow. :yes:

Cheers,

Bert

--

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Saturday, December 07, 2019, 16:33 (1596 days ago) @ Bert

My Orphean system does sound great, and I believe it is close to optimal.....So, it was more of an academic question, and as audiophiles, we like to Putz.

I did download the REW software this morning, and I'll have to dig out my Behringer Mic, and another box called a Mobile Pre-USB from about 10 years ago when I tried to measure... I do remember getting results that were hard for me to interpret. I also remember getting vast differences by just a very small movement of the Mic. But I'll take another go at it. This was before I had the Orphean System, when I was using Altec Horns and Drivers.

RSS Feed of thread