Driver Types (Oris Horns)

by Rudy81 @, Dallas, TX, Sunday, December 01, 2019, 15:43 (1606 days ago)

Bert,
Have you ever experimented with different types of drivers in an Oris? I recently stumbled upon the Heil AMT and wondered how it would sound behind and Oris horn. I know folks have tried the Heil driver with other types of horns with some success.

Just curious. Folks seem to enjoy that driver for its transparent, airy sound.

Driver Types

by Bert @, Monday, December 02, 2019, 16:07 (1605 days ago) @ Rudy81

Hi Rudy,

Have you ever experimented with different types of drivers in an Oris? I recently stumbled upon the Heil AMT and wondered how it would sound behind and Oris horn. I know folks have tried the Heil driver with other types of horns with some success.

Yes, many but mostly only types that "fit" acoustically to the horn.

A horn is nothing more than an acoustical transformer with most effieciency close to its lowest designed freqiency.

Things going wrong at the throat (think about weird reflections) will only come out stronger or disturb the direct sound waves...

Do you have any images for me to see what people did?

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Driver Types

by Rudy81 @, Dallas, TX, Monday, December 02, 2019, 17:28 (1605 days ago) @ Bert

Not many folks have tried this. One person on the DIY forum seems to have had good results with the AMT driver and a custom horn. I'll try to post one of his pictures.

I have been reading about the Heil AMT driver and am curious due to the great reviews it has gotten. Granted, it only goes down to 800Hz or so, but people that have owned them or heard them rave about the clarity, openness and quick response. I looking at the physical dimensions of the driver it occurred to me that it will easily fit in the Oris back chamber.....hence my question.

I'm guessing it will not work with an Oris, but figured it can't hurt anything to just try it and see what happens. I ordered a pair last night and plan on doing some basic testing with one of them and one of my Oris. [image]

Driver Types

by Bert @, Tuesday, December 03, 2019, 19:23 (1604 days ago) @ Rudy81

I'm guessing it will not work with an Oris, but figured it can't hurt anything to just try it and see what happens. I ordered a pair last night and plan on doing some basic testing with one of them and one of my Oris.

Thanks for the image, the way things done there will help to get more effeciency into lower frequencies but the round throath or trying to bend the waves from square to round will onlt introduce unwanted reflections.

Cheers,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Driver Types

by Rudy81 @, Dallas, TX, Tuesday, December 03, 2019, 22:17 (1604 days ago) @ Bert

Bert, I'm sure you are totally correct. Just for fun I will try and see what happens.

Driver Types

by Rudy81 @, Dallas, TX, Friday, December 13, 2019, 00:13 (1594 days ago) @ Bert

In case anyone is curious, Bert is correct. The driver does not work in an Oris.

RSS Feed of thread