Listening to Bert's Swing... (Swing)

by GC, Sunday, July 10, 2005, 10:37 (6868 days ago)

Dear fellows....

I had the pleasure once again to visit Bert in his cozy house at Brinkersweg in Nunspeet, wonderful Holland.

This time we spent, beside swallowing espresso and good food, listening to the new and almost finished ORIS SWING system.

I have to admit that my own ORIS 200 COMPACT system, even it has quite some of the SWING's qualities, does not come close to the SWING's merrits. By this I don't mean that the ORIS DIY systems are bad. No, no, not at all.

It is just the fact that Bert has brung the bench marking ORIS DIY beloved sound to a considerable higher level. By carefull engineering and know how, Bert gave his drivers an optimum platform to perform their best.

I realize that that platform would be impossible for almost any DIY dedicated to make by himself.

So what do we have here? In my opinion only the very best. A milestone that trancends my references of good sounding systems by a very large margin.

In deep respect for Bert's creation I wish the SWING's to become the succes they really deserve.

GC

Tags:

Please, describe the difference!

by GC, Sunday, July 10, 2005, 19:03 (6867 days ago) @ GC

Hi GC,

Can you put into words the sonic difference between the Oris compact and the Swing? What were the most dramatic improvments? Details, please! ;)

Regards,

Steve

Tags:

by GC, Sunday, July 10, 2005, 23:02 (6867 days ago) @ GC

Hi Steve

Yes I can.

The SWING out-performs all DIY ORIS's due to probably several factors. One of them for sure is the unique cabinet construction with it's unique leight weight composit wood, allmost non-parallel walls, the cellular standing wave cancellation structure, the aperiodic BR system, the isobarik driver constalation and the use of the BD30 amp..

So the big difference is mainly to be found in the bass system. But having said that, the extreme quality of the bass system naturally has a great impact of the ORIS 200's performance due to the fact that it couples fault free and seemless to the upper horn.

The bass from the SWING's are simply so clean, so full-bodied, so fast that it matches the speed and caracter of the ORIS 200's with excellence.

Therefore unsurpassed integrity. Therefore unsurpassed uniform sound.
Further Bert has introduced the following features:

* The highs can be adjusted to taste by use of a 2-step notch
* The line filter can be adjusted in 5 different settings
* A switch allows a filter to cut the low's for the ORIS 200's = insane listening levels are at hand.

Anyhow Bert can explain all that better than I can.

You asked about the sound difference between the SWING's and the COMPACT's:

If the SWING ranks 10 on a scale from 0-10, the COMPACT ranks 6. Other ORIS DIY may rank higher. I don't know.

The sound of the SWING differ from the COMPACT by showing a much more profound true low range performance. From the mids and down the SWING is far superior showing better transparancy, dynamics and speed. The distortion is audible lower and the reproduction of the records intend's are more true and fidel.

The bass cabinet seems also to contribute more to the nature of music compared to the COMPACT cabinet.

The blend between the bass and mid/highs is awesome good and leaves you with a source talking ONE language.

Now that comparing ORIS with ORIS is perhaps a bit unfair. All ORIS constructions have the same sound signature. Namely Bert's commitment to offer the best for the most no-nonsence price.

Should I compare the SWING's with other brands appealing to be titeled "the world best system", things are becomming much more clear.

I'm not to judge what people like. I just made my choice which speakers I would bring to a sole island living the rest of my life.

Best regards
GC

Tags:

Thanks GC! nt

by GC, Monday, July 11, 2005, 01:18 (6867 days ago) @ GC

Tags:

by GC, Saturday, July 16, 2005, 10:38 (6862 days ago) @ GC

Hi Steve,

* The highs can be adjusted to taste by use of a 2-step notch
* The line filter can be adjusted in 5 different settings
* A switch allows a filter to cut the low's for the ORIS 200's = insane
listening levels are at hand.

Anyhow Bert can explain all that better than I can.

It is basically a simple extra which can be adapted to all existing Oris systems. The three notches are:

- none at all (for the sweetest sounding tube amplifiers)
- "standard" (for most tube amplifiers)
- "strong" (for too bright/agressive sounding amplifiers)

The line filter is built-up around a high quality stepped switch where the balance can be altered relative simple. The same can be done by fixed values as usual though...

The high-pass filter is a second order filter to reduce low and sub frequencies so that you can crank the system up without having to worry about damaging your AER drive unit.

If the SWING ranks 10 on a scale from 0-10, the COMPACT ranks 6. Other
ORIS DIY may rank higher. I don't know.

The Swing does do a lot of things pretty well with the major benifit in the bass performance. The integration is equal to the Oris Reference Ultra where the same horn configuration is used as with the Swing..

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

by GC, Sunday, July 17, 2005, 06:45 (6861 days ago) @ GC

Hi Bert

It is basically a simple extra which can be adapted to all existing Oris systems. The three notches are:

- none at all (for the sweetest sounding tube amplifiers)
- "standard" (for most tube amplifiers)
- "strong" (for too bright/agressive sounding amplifiers)

The line filter is built-up around a high quality stepped switch where the
balance can be altered relative simple. The same can be done by fixed
values as usual though...

The high-pass filter is a second order filter to reduce low and sub
frequencies so that you can crank the system up without having to worry
about damaging your AER drive unit.

Do you have any intensions to sell the above filter configs. as finished devices for easy installtion and use for all DIY's?

Kind regards,

GC

Tags:

Yes, these will be available...

by GC, Sunday, July 17, 2005, 10:55 (6861 days ago) @ GC

Hi GC,

Do you have any intensions to sell the above filter configs. as finished
devices for easy installtion and use for all DIY's?

Yes, in the near future I will have finished sets available for the Notch (only for use with the AER MD2 or AER MD3). I am playing with different brands to hear which parts are sounding best.

For the bass its not possible to have one that suits all Oris combinations because of their different filter settings, I'll have to work out all the options first. The high quality stepped attenuators (finished or as DIY-kit) and switches will be offered through my renewed DIY website soon (somewhere next week most of it will be ready for upload).

[image] [image]

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

by GC, Monday, July 18, 2005, 14:20 (6859 days ago) @ GC

Hi Bert
Just interested to hear your opinion on the use of high pass filters with AER or Lowther drivers which are underpinned with BD15s.
Is this a necessary evil to be accepted by those that want to play loud (some loss of sensitivity/quality through the filter) or is there some overall benefit at any volume in taking away the base burden from the 8 inch driver.
Cheers Chris

Tags:

by GC, Monday, July 18, 2005, 14:38 (6859 days ago) @ GC

Hi Chris,

Is this a necessary evil to be accepted by those that want to play loud
(some loss of sensitivity/quality through the filter) or is there some
overall benefit at any volume in taking away the base burden from the 8
inch driver.

It is a safety matter for people who want to play extreme loud with extreme deep frequencies. Usually with home cinema where people don't have a real subwoofer and mix those channels to the main channels.

Normal loud listening is very well possible with the stronger magnitised drivers (AER MD3, AER MD2, Lowther DX4). With extreme I mean ear damaging levels or possible damaging subfrequencies with HT.

Any high pass filter will always degrade the sound, despite the advantage of reduced low frequenties....

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

Listening to Bert's Swing...

by GC, Saturday, July 16, 2005, 10:39 (6862 days ago) @ GC

Hi GC,

I had the pleasure once again to visit Bert in his cozy house at
Brinkersweg in Nunspeet, wonderful Holland.

Thanks to you, it is always a pleasure to have you around!

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread