Wings on LaScala? (BD-Design)

by GC, Tuesday, February 22, 2005, 00:44 (6996 days ago)

Hey Bert,

Some people add wings to their Altec Voice of the Theater speakers, to gain some LF efficiency. Would that make a significant difference to the LaScala's bass extension?

It would be an ugly, but easy upgrade. :-)
Ivo

Tags:

Wings on LaScala?

by GC, Tuesday, February 22, 2005, 11:48 (6996 days ago) @ GC

Hi Ivo,

Some people add wings to their Altec Voice of the Theater speakers, to
gain some LF efficiency. Would that make a significant difference to the
LaScala's bass extension?

This was discussed some time ago (I can't find it back...) but the effect for the size is not that big. You could turn them towards the sidewalls though (same effect).

It would be an ugly, but easy upgrade. :-)

Or add a reflex chamber like Frode did...

Go to http://www.bd-design.info/forum/search.php and search for DJK

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

Wings on LaScala?

by GC, Wednesday, February 23, 2005, 19:33 (6995 days ago) @ GC

Thanks Bert.

I think I'll try pointing them to the wall. Easy, non-destructive. It looks bad (why do tweaks always look bad), so I will probably turn them back after a day or two... ;-)

I had some friends over to watch a DVD. Borrowed the beamer from my father's school and projected the movie on a very good slide screen inherited from an uncle. Screen between the big speakers, of course. Good fun!

Groet,
Ivo

Tags:

Wings on LaScala?

by GC, Thursday, February 24, 2005, 01:46 (6994 days ago) @ GC

You won't believe how much bass a LaScala cab can make if you port it correctly. It won't go below 50Hz, but it's fast and clean bass to that point. See the pic of my speaker...

Pete

[img]images/uploaded/image24.jpg[/img]

Tags:

Part II

by GC, Monday, March 07, 2005, 17:21 (6983 days ago) @ GC

I moved my LaScala's, they're facing the walls now.

I'm not entirely sure what to think yet. I think it's a bit less dynamic (probably because the upper range of the speakers isn't fired directly at me anymore), room modes seem a bit less excited. The lowest room mode that the LaScala reached is also gone now, which makes it seem like I miss a lot of extension. But it sounds better without it.

Pressure is more even through the bass range. I think it works well in my current room. I think I'll leave them for a while.

Ivo

Tags:

Part II

by GC, Monday, March 07, 2005, 22:10 (6983 days ago) @ GC

Hi Ivo,

Pressure is more even through the bass range. I think it works well in my
current room. I think I'll leave them for a while.

You could move them a bit further away from the side walls and add an angled panel for more directivity? More even bass is probably because you have them now placed out of the corner (less exiting boundaries..).

The low-mids are due to the side firing also less present, you could change the filter a bit to a higher crossover frequency also....

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

Part II

by GC, Wednesday, March 09, 2005, 14:06 (6981 days ago) @ GC

Hi Bert,

You could move them a bit further away from the side walls and add an
angled panel for more directivity? More even bass is probably because you
have them now placed out of the corner (less exiting boundaries..).

I already had them out of the corner, to get them away from my TV I put them almost in the middle of the room (where the sofa was) each on one side of the room. The sofa is now where the speakers used to be. I always say that people let cats rule their life because they can't sit in a chair if their cat is in it. I let my speakers rule my life... :-) Or my decorating.

The low-mids are due to the side firing also less present

Yes. And the sound less direct now, that really makes a difference. I have the same bass sound, everywhere in the room. It's nice when I'm reading at my desk, or cooking etc., sort of Bose-like. In a good way.

Still, it is kind of pleasant, so I'll leave it for a while. I might stop by an electronics store to get different capacitors for the filter.

Thanks again, Bert!
ivo

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread