Ordered the MiniDsp Amps - Bert, what Crossover Recs? (BD-Design)

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Tuesday, March 26, 2024, 22:47 (32 days ago)

I ordered a pair of PWR-ICE250 from MiniDsp. I am going to Bridge them. I should get them in a couple days. I am currently running a 4th Order, 270 Hz High Low Pass at -9db volume on my Hypex Amps. What would be your recommended Crossover that I should start with initially?

I see they have Butterworth, Linkwitz-Riley, and Bessel... Which makes it easier to understand for me.

Ordered the MiniDsp Amps - Bert, what Crossover Recs?

by Bert @, Wednesday, March 27, 2024, 10:37 (31 days ago) @ Kevin

I ordered a pair of PWR-ICE250 from MiniDsp. I am going to Bridge them. I should get them in a couple days. I am currently running a 4th Order, 270 Hz High Low Pass at -9db volume on my Hypex Amps. What would be your recommended Crossover that I should start with initially?

I would start with the same settings ...

I see they have Butterworth, Linkwitz-Riley, and Bessel... Which makes it easier to understand for me.

If you can't measure then you can try Butterworth and Linkwitz-Riley (even third or second order) but be aware that the phase will flip or becomes worse just by switching between those options. Try in- and out of phase while listen for improvements.

If you can measure the system's response then you can do a lot more and see what's happening.

Problem is that the response of your corner horns are probably not flat from 20-500Hz and therefore impossible to tell what sort of crossover you'll need.

If the corner horn is acoustically measured flat then a 4th order at 270Hz Linkwitz would be my pick.

Cheers,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Wednesday, March 27, 2024, 12:27 (31 days ago) @ Bert

Thanks .......

I can certainly measure, but I've got to start somewhere before I can measure. That's why I was asking.

by Bert @, Wednesday, March 27, 2024, 12:43 (31 days ago) @ Kevin

I can certainly measure, but I've got to start somewhere before I can measure. That's why I was asking.

In that case you can start measuring without any crossover settings and see what you've got ... just be carefull with the volume when you start measuring.

From there just mirror the slope you measure from the Orphean and have that curve crossing at -6dB (wherever that frequency is).

Check in- and out of phase where you should see a major dip at that frequency "out of phase" which assures that both (bass and Orphean) are optimal in phase when you invert the phase again.

Both curves should then complement each other for a linear curve.

If there is still a dip then move the crossover point higher, when there is a bump then lower it...

Play with this until you have the optimal settings and start to listen ... :smile:

With your system I would tweak the above from 2m distance.

Have fun!

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

RSS Feed of thread