BD15 drivers (BD-Design)

by RLRB, Friday, March 22, 2024, 18:24 (36 days ago)

Hello, I have Oris 150 with Aer bd3 and ripoles with 2*bd15 each channel.
I modelled to put bd15 in closed box and Onken but F3 is about 100 Hz in closed box, no bass. In onken also does not work.
What I am doing wrong?
Is bd15 not suitable for bass?
As ripoles does not work well above 160 Hz another option is another way in closed box with seas 8 inch.
Thanks

BD15 drivers

by Gasper @, Friday, March 22, 2024, 20:31 (36 days ago) @ RLRB

BD15 worked well in REF2010 bassreflex enclosure, I think it would be good in Compact too. The bass was clean and smooth, silk... no problems to go with Oris 150, even more, it was perfect match...

For my taste it was just a little bit on light side, so I moved to something bigger (elephant)... ????

Gasper

BD15 drivers

by Erwin @, Netherlands, Friday, March 22, 2024, 22:06 (36 days ago) @ RLRB
edited by Erwin, Friday, March 22, 2024, 22:11

Hi RLRB,

have you looked at the drawings for bert's Revelation? As you can see, that basicly is a ripole too, but with a minor twist, making it no problem whatsoever to have a crossover at 240hz like me ;-) with Orpheans.

The BD15's sure have no problem doing that, i used them myself in a revelation like setup...

[image]

I only switched to another driver (beyma SM115) because i would have otherwise needed 6 more BD15's in my setup...

BD15 drivers

by Bert @, Saturday, March 23, 2024, 07:54 (35 days ago) @ RLRB

Funny (with all respect) to read that your ripoles do give bass and an Onken or closed box don't while these are more efficient in the bass!

An Onken would be optimal for the BD15, even with a relative high F3 frequency but with a smooth roll-off down to 30-35Hz when tuned to that frequency. 30Hz will not be as strong as 150Hz which is not too hard to EQ for good balance.

Your Ripole must have a much steeper correction to make that work ... and 160Hz is basically the crossover point for your Oris 150's.

Why do you want to change?

Cheers,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

BD15 drivers

by RLRB, Saturday, March 23, 2024, 10:28 (35 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert,
i think ripoles work well till 120 hz or so, i cut at 163 hz lr24 and fullranges Oris 150-Aer are crossoverless. i think 163 hz is too high and in that frequency is not optimal, i have been years thinking in adding another way from 80 to 170 hz aprox in closed box and 8 inches Seas Excel.
When i went to Munich i found what i was looking for, Vox 9.87 added a midbass module to cover that hole (crossover point).
i also listened to a 18 inch ripole from SoundKaos with was crossed at 80 hz, i liked also.
Later i listened an onken with GPA drivers and liked a lot. i have a sublime sound with Oris 150 and bass is in an lower league.
Putting bd15 in closed box or Onken does not give much bass but i have not tried (ondy modelled)

wich way would you take

I have some videos in youtube, https://youtu.be/KJWrFbLzaZM

thanks

BD15 drivers

by Bert @, Saturday, March 23, 2024, 12:30 (35 days ago) @ RLRB

Hi Bert,
i think ripoles work well till 120 hz or so, i cut at 163 hz lr24 and fullranges Oris 150-Aer are crossoverless. i think 163 hz is too high and in that frequency is not optimal, i have been years thinking in adding another way from 80 to 170 hz aprox in closed box and 8 inches Seas Excel.

Did you measure the output of the system? When no EQ is applied to the ripole with BD15's then the bass will be too weak and dissapointing ...

wich way would you take

Try to EQ the bass first and if then you still feel you'll need something else then an Onken will give the best.

I have some videos in youtube, https://youtu.be/KJWrFbLzaZM

Cool!

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

RSS Feed of thread