Gasket Material for Mounting BD3s in Oris 150s. (BD-Design)

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Tuesday, April 12, 2022, 17:44 (745 days ago)

Bert, I have sent my AER BD3s to Mr. Keller in Germany to be reconed and upgraded after I noticed fine radial cracks in their foam. While removing them from the horns I noticed that the gasket material I used to mount them was a tar like black substance still quite flexible after seventeen or eighteen years. Do you know what this gasket material is and how I can buy more. Thanks in advance.

Gasket Material for Mounting BD3s in Oris 150s.

by Bert @, Thursday, April 14, 2022, 14:39 (743 days ago) @ Don Reid

Bert, I have sent my AER BD3s to Mr. Keller in Germany to be reconed and upgraded after I noticed fine radial cracks in their foam.

Nice! Hope you like it...

While removing them from the horns I noticed that the gasket material I used to mount them was a tar like black substance still quite flexible after seventeen or eighteen years. Do you know what this gasket material is and how I can buy more.

It is called EPDM rubber... I am sure that Amazon has it.

Cheers,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

by alwsjr, Monday, April 25, 2022, 22:07 (731 days ago) @ Don Reid

hi Don...
you finally did it... we chatted a few years back about sending our AER drivers in and the cost... I am in Austin TX and have BD3's with Bert's phase plugs..if I guess, say around $4K total for the upgrade and w/ shipping (which I have no doubt will be superb) would you mind confirming ?...jeez I may even be low...best -Al

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Thursday, April 28, 2022, 21:31 (728 days ago) @ alwsjr

Hi alwsjr, The cost for reconeing and upgrading the BD3s was $3360 Euros plus shipping to and from. At present exchange rates that comes to about $3,541.44. Fed Ex just delivered the drivers back today. They look quite different, but I can't comment on how they sound because I haven't got them back in the horns yet. I'm going to go do that now.

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Sunday, May 01, 2022, 18:07 (726 days ago) @ Don Reid

I reinstalled the BD3s in my Oris 150 horns and after two days of constant play to break them in a bit I am hearing excellent improvement in the sound of the drivers compared to the pre-upgraded sound. The most pleasing improvement I hear is greater resolution giving more musical detail without any sign of etch or hardness. I am very pleased with the change.

by alwsjr, Wednesday, May 04, 2022, 17:08 (723 days ago) @ Don Reid

thank you Don... cost is about what I expected... the turn around seems preeety good too
thanks again

RSS Feed of thread