Hey, Gasper (BD-Design)

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Friday, March 04, 2022, 20:42 (783 days ago)

Hi, Gasper. If I remember correctly you were listening to Oris 150s before changing to the Orpheans. As you know I am considering a change from Oris 150s with AER BD3s and Fostex t900a bullet super tweeters to 150 horns with extensions to accept the 2" throat BMS compression driver used in the Orpheans. The present Oris 150s with super tweeters sound and image wonderfully. What I would really like to accomplish with upgrade is to get the lightning fast transient response and subsequent clarity I used to enjoy with full range electrostatics or to move in that direction. Do the Orpheans have that sort of sound?

Hey, Gasper

by Gasper @, Saturday, March 05, 2022, 09:53 (783 days ago) @ Don Reid

Hi Don,

I used Lowther's DX3 and latter DX4 drivers. DX4 was much better (faster, cleaner, more highs). Never had a chance to hear AER drivers. I admit I was thinking of super twitter, but never need it in reality. And of course, painting horns is a must (Oris or Orphean).

So, with the Orphean I get CLEAN sound, more HIGHs, ultra-fast response. The only thing is that Oris 150 had more "planar attack" (I think because it is bigger - but you will not have this issue...).

BMS driver is what I always want - it is PRO driver modified by Bert to became perfect (of course with M5s).

All the Best,
Gasper

Hey, Gasper

by avaarni @, Saturday, March 05, 2022, 18:54 (782 days ago) @ Don Reid

I owned AER-MD2 with Oris horn years ago. Now I have Orphean M5.

It really comes down to what you prefer. Full range drivers have their own kind "floating" musical sound - it is easy to fell in love with. Orphean is different, Gasper is right with his view. To get Orphean sound it's best you need perfect bass and that takes time to adjust it - at least in my case it did. Yes, you get nice sound quite easily but if something is wrong with the integration it bugs you until you get it right.

And tube amplification is not the only way to go. I have low powered Schiit A class power amp with Topping pre amp and also at the moment I play Orpheans with PP EL38 amp. At some point I thought I never go back to tubes but here I am again.

Let us know how your journey goes with Orpheans if you decide to get them.

Br Antti

RSS Feed of thread