Best Driver for ORIS 150 (BD-Design)

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Friday, February 11, 2022, 23:46 (799 days ago)

Hi Bert,

Do you know of any drivers that you think would sound better in my Oris 150 horns than the AER BD3s I am currently using?

Best Driver for ORIS 150

by Gasper @, Saturday, February 12, 2022, 12:45 (798 days ago) @ Don Reid

Orphean... ????

Best Driver for ORIS 150

by Bert @, Saturday, February 12, 2022, 13:07 (798 days ago) @ Don Reid

Best driver would be an upgrade (renewed front part) for your BD3's...

Unless you want to invest in a BD4 or BD5 (6 figure price range).

Or adding an extention to your Oris 150 to fit a 2" compression driver...

That's what I am listening to these days.

You could also replace your Oris 150 to an Orphean?

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Best Driver for ORIS 150

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Sunday, February 13, 2022, 17:46 (797 days ago) @ Bert

Thank you for the replies. Bert, I am confused about your comment that I could update my BD3s. The foam is still solid after seventeen years. Please write a sentence or two to explain. Thanks in advance.

Best Driver for ORIS 150

by Bert @, Wednesday, February 16, 2022, 23:21 (794 days ago) @ Don Reid

Hi Don,

I am confused about your comment that I could update my BD3s. The foam is still solid after seventeen years. Please write a sentence or two to explain.

In 17 years things have changed and improved to sound cleaner and sweeter.

Visible change is the optional flat foam surrounds giving more bass, control and body to the drivers or flat and rolled suspensions combined for even more improvements! Mostly useful for rear loaded horns (the bass) but also for the Oris horn for more body and much less cone movement.

Not cheap though...

Cheers,

Bert

--

Best Driver for ORIS 150

by Gasper @, Monday, February 21, 2022, 06:00 (789 days ago) @ Don Reid

Hi Don,

I have to change foam severel times on Lowthers, visually it was OK but if I touch it, it just take apart. Lowthers need regullar care... Orphean is just another World... Try it..
Best Regards,
Gasper. :yes:

Best Driver for ORIS 150

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Monday, February 21, 2022, 17:57 (789 days ago) @ Gasper

Hi Gasper, nice to hear from you again. I would seriously consider the Orpheans, but the folded corner horn bass enclosures I use are only suitable for a 200Hz or lower crossover. Even at that I use a 96dB/octave roll off slope (DEQX DSP). I suppose that when the foam goes I will have my BD3s upgraded and be satisfied with that. After all they sound very good just as they are.

Best Driver for ORIS 150

by Bert @, Wednesday, February 23, 2022, 15:25 (787 days ago) @ Don Reid

I would seriously consider the Orpheans, but the folded corner horn bass enclosures I use are only suitable for a 200Hz or lower crossover.

I am crossing at 180Hz with my extended Oris 150... (45" deep including compression driver!). :cool:

--

Best Driver for ORIS 150

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Wednesday, February 23, 2022, 17:33 (787 days ago) @ Bert

Bert, Does BD Design sell the Oris 150 extender and compression driver you are using?

Best Driver for ORIS 150

by Bert @, Thursday, February 24, 2022, 09:26 (786 days ago) @ Don Reid

Hi Don,

Bert, Does BD Design sell the Oris 150 extender and compression driver you are using?

The drivers are the same as used for the Orphean, the extensions are hand made.

Making a new extension is always possible but it might (probably will) introduce a problem to make it fit perfectly for an older Oris 150.

Best would be to buy a complete new set...

Bert

--

Best Driver for ORIS 150

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Thursday, February 24, 2022, 17:38 (786 days ago) @ Bert

I am quite disappointed to learn that new Oris horns may be needed to make the change. I really like the paint job on my present Oris 150s as well as the fact that they are already paid for. What would be cost of the change with new Oris 150 horns. I still might want to purchase and install the new components If they really would sound better.

Best Driver for ORIS 150

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Friday, February 25, 2022, 21:28 (785 days ago) @ Don Reid

Bert, you have given me upgrade fever. I have been perfectly happy with the Oris 150/ AER BD3 with Fostex t900a bullet super tweeters for years, but suddenly I really want better speakers. The Oris 150 with extension to accommodate the BMS compression driver is at the top of my to do list. After all if that is what you listen to at home they must be great. I eagerly await additional information.

Best Driver for ORIS 150

by Bert @, Saturday, February 26, 2022, 11:23 (784 days ago) @ Don Reid

Hi Don,

Bert, you have given me upgrade fever.

Sorry... you started the topic yourself! :yes:

I eagerly await additional information.

One problem here, it will be all manual made by hand (unless you want to invest in a mould for making a few honderd extensions?). It will not look good (the extension) without much effort though... but it will work nevertheless! :grin:

Bert

--

Best Driver for ORIS 150

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Saturday, February 26, 2022, 17:01 (784 days ago) @ Bert

I am capable of much effort to improve the appearance of the extension. How much will you charge for the ugly extension? When could it be ready to ship. I assume you already have the new Oris 150s and BMS compression drivers in stock. Is that correct? If the extension isn't too very expensive I am pretty sure I want to go forward with this.

Best Driver for ORIS 150

by Bert @, Monday, February 28, 2022, 19:27 (782 days ago) @ Don Reid

When could it be ready to ship. I assume you already have the new Oris 150s and BMS compression drivers in stock. Is that correct? If the extension isn't too very expensive I am pretty sure I want to go forward with this.

I need to think things over how to make this work. The extensions will be custom made to fit it's own individual horn and removable to save a lot on shipping costs. It should fit perfectly to have a smooth transition on the inside..

These days it will cost 600 Euro to send a DIY pair of Oris 150 horns, it would be nice to keep the size of the package small to prevent too much extra on shipping alone.

Once I have figured out the way to go then I will contact you bij mail with all related information so you can decide.

Bert

--

Best Driver for ORIS 150

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Friday, March 11, 2022, 18:11 (771 days ago) @ Bert

Bert, I am having second thoughts about replacing my Oris 150s with AER BD3s and Fostex t900a super tweeters with the new horns and BMS compression drivers. Simply put the main reason for this is because the speaker system as it exists sounds so very good that I am reluctant to change. In particular the Oris 150s with open backs have a dipolar component to the sound that I feel contributes to the image having great depth back to and beyond the wall and room corners behind the speakers. I don't doubt that the BMS compression drivers offer advantages over the present arrangement I use, but I am concerned that I would loose image characteristics that I really enjoy. I apologize for any of your time I have wasted. I believe I will save the dollars I would spend on the new horns and drivers for when I have to have the BD3s reconed and updated by AER.

Best Driver for ORIS 150

by Bert @, Saturday, March 12, 2022, 08:40 (770 days ago) @ Don Reid

No worries Don! Never change a winning team...

--

Best Driver for ORIS 150

by Wilson1, USA, Sunday, March 13, 2022, 15:03 (769 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert... I own both the Oris-150 and the Orphian horns and was monitoring the above conversation. Can you provide a basic drawing of the extension need to use the Orphian compression driver with the Oris-150? I am quite handy with both wood and fiberglass and am interested in making this experiment.

Best Driver for ORIS 150

by Bert @, Monday, March 14, 2022, 10:23 (768 days ago) @ Wilson1

Can you provide a basic drawing of the extension need to use the Orphian compression driver with the Oris-150?

Sorry, can't do but if you create an extension making the total length/depth of the horn 84 cm (measured from front to 2" rear) with a smooth following curve then you're close enough.

The crossover for the Orphean can't be used with the new horn, it will cross too high.

Bert

--

RSS Feed of thread