4 inch compression driver from 300hz without XO. (BD-Design)

by avaarni @, Sunday, January 02, 2022, 11:26 (816 days ago)

Hi all and happy new year

I came across with a speaker from Tobian Soundsystems. Model 15HF uses mid-high Compression Driver 4.0" without mid-high crossover. I find this interesting since according to the site it goes down to 300 hz. I wonder the manufacturer of this driver. Any ideas anyone? Or experiences with larger compression drivers. Oh, on the side note I found the prices from Norweigian site of these Tobian speakers and if they are correct they are out of my league anyways...

https://tobian-soundsystems.com/en/hornspeakers/15fh-fullrange-hornspeakers

Bert this post not to meant advertise those speakers so if you feel so you may be delete my post. Just being curious of the driver there.

Antti

4 inch compression driver from 300hz without XO.

by Bert @, Sunday, January 02, 2022, 14:05 (816 days ago) @ avaarni

Hi Antti,

I came across with a speaker from Tobian Soundsystems. Model 15HF uses mid-high Compression Driver 4.0" without mid-high crossover.

Read again....

4" diaphragm (same size as your Orphean) and if it has no tweeter then why is an crossover needed? Easy claim... :grin:

It will still have a crossover for the bass to midrange to prevent it from damaging.

Oh, your Orphean plays well down to 220Hz and my extended Oris 150 even down to 160Hz!

Not sure where they claim their crossover frequency and possible EQ network needed to get things in balance?

Their horn for the mid-high frequencies is only 12"... impossible for efficient loading down to 300Hz, at least to be able to cross that low at 99dB efficiency.

You can't fool physics! You can fool people with too much money without too much knowledge and that is a pity... buying stuff for way too much money and getting inferior quality.

I am sure those speakers sound okay (high efficient bass driver and hopefully good quality compression driver without too much compression - read 3rd harmonic distortion).

I am sure your system sounds a lot better!

Cheers and Happy New Year!

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

by avaarni @, Sunday, January 02, 2022, 14:50 (816 days ago) @ Bert

Thanks for the reality check, Bert.

Oh, your Orphean plays well down to 220Hz and my extended Oris 150 even down to 160Hz!

Yes, I know :)

I am sure your system sounds a lot better!

But you know the hifi mind, always thinking about the next can of worms :grin:

by Gasper @, Sunday, January 02, 2022, 20:59 (816 days ago) @ avaarni

I wonder if they go down to 20 Hz in proper manner... my JBLs do...:dancing:

All the best to all in 2022. Stay well!:bass:

Gasper

RSS Feed of thread