Bert ................. Your Opinion (BD-Design)

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Wednesday, June 09, 2021, 19:46 (1050 days ago)

Bert,
In your opinion, what is the best Sounding SET amplifier that you have heard on your Oris Horns? Thanks.

Bert ................. Your Opinion

by Bert @, Wednesday, June 09, 2021, 19:58 (1050 days ago) @ Kevin

Hi Kevin,

In your opinion, what is the best Sounding SET amplifier that you have heard on your Oris Horns?

Wow, that is a long time ago! I have had 300B SET (Border Patrol), 845 SET (Unison Smart) but also OTL and balanced EL34 amps.

All did great! On my full-range path...

These days I play with the Orphean and DIY Gain Clone amps (BD30).

Bert

PS only a few 300B or other SET based amps will sound great, a lot of them sound okay too but with too much noise or no good sound at all (sloppy bass and coloured)

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

by Wilson1, USA, Saturday, June 12, 2021, 03:30 (1047 days ago) @ Kevin

FYI I use the Coincident Frankenstein 300B on my Oris and my Orphean systems with really good results. Bert is correct in that very few 300B's actually have good end to end frequency response. I will note in my systems I use solid state amplification for the base enclosures.

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Saturday, June 12, 2021, 03:40 (1047 days ago) @ Wilson1

And I use 45 SET Mono blocks with my Orphean Horns. And the Hypex Plate Amplifiers for my Bass Bins.
I have tried my 300B Welborne Laurel Monoblocks, but the extra power caused a hum in the Horns that I could hear at my listening position. The 45 Amps are plenty enough power for the 115db Orphean Horns, and at idle are very quiet on the Horns.

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Tuesday, September 21, 2021, 18:00 (946 days ago) @ Kevin

I use a First Watt F3 single ended, single gain stage, class A, JFET output transistors stereo amp to power my Oris 150s with AER BD3s and a second F3 to power Fostex t900a bullet tweeters in my triamplified rig. The First Watt amps replaced Cary Audio 2a3 mono block amps, and the change was a very good one for SQ.

by Bert @, Friday, September 24, 2021, 18:21 (943 days ago) @ Don Reid

Hi Don,

I use a First Watt F3 single ended, single gain stage, class A, JFET output transistors stereo amp to power my Oris 150s with AER BD3s and a second F3 to power Fostex t900a bullet tweeters in my triamplified rig. The First Watt amps replaced Cary Audio 2a3 mono block amps, and the change was a very good one for SQ.

I am sure it will be a different experience! I haven't heard the F3 myself but it seems a good sounding amp for full-range drivers...

Cheers,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

RSS Feed of thread