Shunting Bass out of Horn Amplifer ? ......Bert ? (BD-Design)

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Saturday, March 27, 2021, 22:47 (1119 days ago)
edited by Kevin, Saturday, March 27, 2021, 22:59

So, I was on another Audio Forum and I mentioned my Orphean System with my 45 Amplifier powering the Orphean Horns and I was asked:

"What do you do to keep the bass out of the 45 amplifier" And I do nothing.... The response was the following....

Even though you have a passive crossover keeping the bass out of the horn, if you don't do something to keep the bass out of the 45 SET amplifier the load line for the mids and highs will follow an elliptical load line because of the presents of the bass. No gapped output transformer has enough inductance to properly deal with low bass frequencies. This leads to distortion of all the frequencies.

Try this, add your best .0015uf capacitor in series with the 100Meg input impedance of the 45 amplifier. I like the Russian Silver mica caps.

This will create a 6db high pass filter at about 100Hz and greatly improve that amplifiers performance in the mids and highs without changing your 270Hz crossover point. The load line for the mids and the highs will become much more "resistive" leading to less harmonic distortion.
***************************************************************************************

Have you heard of this? --- What do you think?

Shunting Bass out of Horn Amplifer ? ......Bert ?

by Bert @, Sunday, March 28, 2021, 09:29 (1119 days ago) @ Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Have you heard of this? --- What do you think?

Yes, true but ...

Depending on the used amplifier you can or you shouldn't. If your main amp is capable to give good bass signals without noise (without the need for much power) then your present connections are optimal.

This way you keep the harmonic signature of the sound fed into the bass system the same for optimal sounding integration.

If your main amp is not capable (makes too much noise or uses relative small output transformers then it can be beter to use a pre-amplifier or split the signal on the input of your main amplifer and connect from there to your bass amplifier. Make sure that the input impedance of both amps are not too low, your source might not be able to drive this load if it has a relative high output impedance (TVC's do not like this at all!).

As long as the output impedance is roughly 10 times lower then the combined input impedance then you're good to go. A pre-amplifier with output a buffer or 2 buffered outputs work best.

Hope this helps.

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Sunday, March 28, 2021, 16:37 (1119 days ago) @ Bert

Thanks for your comments... I don't understand all of your comments, but here is a schematic of my Amplifier that I am using. Also, I am using a Pre-Amp with two Outputs to my Amplifiers (Bass and Orphean Horn)

[image]

by Bert @, Monday, March 29, 2021, 16:21 (1118 days ago) @ Kevin

Thanks and as far as I can see then there should not be any problem splitting the signal or use your 2 outputs from your pre-amplifier.

The only problem will be gain setting for the bass amplifier when you want to try another amp later. You'll have to tune the level to make that work.

Chreers,

Bert

--

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Monday, March 29, 2021, 16:38 (1118 days ago) @ Bert

OK, Thanks Much! --- And I do have to adjust the gain of the Bass Amp, everytime I switch Amplifiers. I do this often enough that I am quite fast at it. :-)

Also ...................

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Monday, March 29, 2021, 21:16 (1118 days ago) @ Bert

Thanks and as far as I can see then there should not be any problem splitting the signal or use your 2 outputs from your pre-amplifier.

When you had mentioned this, I thought I should Clarify. I am not 'splitting' the signal at my Pre-Amplifier. I have 2 buffered outputs of the Complete Signal from the Pre-Amp. One to my Hypex Bass Amps and the Other to my 45 Amp for the Orpheans. Does this make any difference?

Also ...................

by Bert @, Tuesday, March 30, 2021, 10:00 (1117 days ago) @ Kevin

When you had mentioned this, I thought I should Clarify. I am not 'splitting' the signal at my Pre-Amplifier. I have 2 buffered outputs of the Complete Signal from the Pre-Amp. One to my Hypex Bass Amps and the Other to my 45 Amp for the Orpheans. Does this make any difference?

No, perfect! Splitting was mentioned because that is an option as well in case you do not have two separate buffered pre-outputs for your situation.

Cheers,

Bert

--

OK, Thanks Much ....... nt

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Thursday, April 01, 2021, 14:54 (1115 days ago) @ Bert

nt

RSS Feed of thread