New member, Oris 150 with Aer bd3 and ripoles 4 bd15 (BD-Design)

by RLRB, Saturday, November 02, 2019, 13:12 (1608 days ago)

Hello.
i have a new system with Oris 150 Aer bd3 and ripoles with 4 bd15 and a MArchand tube xover at 200 hz. Congratulations to Bert, the system is sublime.
I use a pset 2a3 for horns and 2 Art Audio Maestro monobloc 2 x 8 el34 each for bass and a Stenvens Billington Autoformer passive preamp, DCS player and Grimm clock
I am in love with the natural sound, dynamics, timbre....I listen jazz,classic andprog rock
I find best sound with rear cover removed, better bass integration due to rear radiation and better scene , deeper and taller. Listening with rear closed is like using headphones.
The monoblocs can be used in triode class A 60 w or UL 100 w, i prefer in UL (thinking only in bass).
A question: i am afraid that at loud volumes the driver Aer can be damaged¿?
wich awg do i need to join the + and - poles of ripole?
thanks

New member, Oris 150 with Aer bd3 and ripoles 4 bd15

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Monday, November 04, 2019, 21:01 (1605 days ago) @ RLRB

Welcome RLRB. I too have Oris 150 driven by AER BD3s. I love them as I have for for fifteen years. This is after going through dozens of speakers before the Oris, horn bass and Fostex super tweeter system.

I memory serves me correctly AER rates the BD-3s as being able to handle 50 watts of musical material power. Considering the sensitivity of the Oris/BD-=3 combination you would damage your ears long be fore you damaged the drivers.

by RLRB, Friday, November 08, 2019, 23:45 (1601 days ago) @ Don Reid

I have with horn filter at 200 hz but I feel I need to cut a little higher, maybe? I have tried horns without filter and sounds wonderful but some excess. I have same phase in lows and highs. I find excessive too 7.5 w channel to horns, kay be I need to replace 2a3 for 45 tubes

by Bert @, Tuesday, November 05, 2019, 11:20 (1605 days ago) @ RLRB

Welcome!

A question: i am afraid that at loud volumes the driver Aer can be damaged?

Everything can break in time but I am sure your ears will suffer sooner... assuming that you use the Marchand crossover to take away the low frequencies from the AER driver.

wich awg do i need to join the + and - poles of ripole?

I am not sure I understand the question but if this is about phase (in phase or inverted phase) then trial is the best way to go. The open Oris 150 and the open ripole have phase and anti pahse lobs so how to connect depends on the interaction between both.

I would start in phase and listen to low male voices or instruments in the lower midrange (the crossover range). Then change and listen again, the most full sound is the better setting.

Cheers,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

by RLRB, Saturday, November 16, 2019, 12:18 (1594 days ago) @ Bert

Hello
Would be a good idea to cut ripoles at 200 hz LR 4 order 24 db octave as i have now but cut the horn at 125 hz lr 4 order 24 db octave? This way i could get better bass integration as horns goes down to 150 hz.
I suppose this can be done wiyh the Marchand as it works with modules.
I have the bd 15 in paralell, an 1 mm wire is enough?
Thanks

by Bert @, Saturday, November 16, 2019, 20:05 (1594 days ago) @ RLRB

Hello
Would be a good idea to cut ripoles at 200 hz LR 4 order 24 db octave as i have now but cut the horn at 125 hz lr 4 order 24 db octave? This way i could get better bass integration as horns goes down to 150 hz.

Good idea but I am not sure how your ripole behaves at 200Hz?

Usually these have resonances...

Perhaps you can measure to see what the bass section outputs?

I suppose this can be done wiyh the Marchand as it works with modules.

It could...

I have the bd 15 in paralell, an 1 mm wire is enough?

Yes

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

by RLRB, Monday, November 25, 2019, 20:38 (1585 days ago) @ Bert

Now with ripolesat 200 hz and horns to 125 hz, all in 4 order and without preamp using the marchand. Would be a good idea to have more transparence to use 2 order filters?
Thanks

by RLRB, Tuesday, December 10, 2019, 20:54 (1570 days ago) @ RLRB

About using 4 LR or 2 order LR i have noticed a much better sound with second order. i cut horn at 100hz but the low freq at 200 hz, as Bert said is better to use the natural attenuation of the horn.
I must in this case change the polarity of woofers if not there is a cancelation.
As i have measured the ripoles and appear flat at 300 hz in 1 m distance i can cut low freq at 225 or 250 hz.
Can i suppose better sound with first order?
i am in the learning process....

RSS Feed of thread