Oris 200 - Redo - and a Question..... (BD-Design)

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 12:46 (1779 days ago)

OK, we have re-worked my Friends Oris 200 System and things are sounding pretty good.
We now have a Crown Class 'D' Amp with an active crossover built in for the Bass Amps. We have the signal running off his pre-amp. The Crossover is set to 200 Hz presently. I constructed a Crossover for the Oris 200 Horns with a 39 uf Cap in Series and a 4.7 mH conductor in parallel to each Horn. And we are also getting the input signal from his pre-amp.

My Question; because of this 2nd order crossover on the Oris Horn, should the phase be reversed on the Oris Horns?

Oris 200 - Redo - and a Question.....

by Bert @, Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 16:24 (1779 days ago) @ Kevin

Hi Kevin,

My Question; because of this 2nd order crossover on the Oris Horn, should the phase be reversed on the Oris Horns?

Possible yes... but only if the bass is truly in phase which is not to expect. The crossover used on the bass amp (any crossover for that matter) shifts phase depending on the slope and used crossover point.

Just flip the phase and listen... or measure!

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 17:49 (1779 days ago) @ Bert

This is from the specs on the Crown Amp with crossover he is using. Does this tell you anything, as far as phase shift? And he is using the LP Filter set at 200 Hz.

PureBand Crossover System: The PureBand Crossover System in the XLS DriveCore 2 Series adds an enormous amount of flexibility and performance to any system. With this system, the crossover frequency is completely variable allowing the choice of any crossover point between 30Hz and 3kHz on 1/12th octave centers. The use of 24dB/octave Linkwitz-Riley filters provides steep slopes for a seamless transition between high and low drivers. You can choose from three filter types: Low Pass, High Pass, and Band Pass.

by Bert @, Thursday, June 13, 2019, 12:21 (1778 days ago) @ Kevin

This is from the specs on the Crown Amp with crossover he is using. Does this tell you anything, as far as phase shift? And he is using the LP Filter set at 200 Hz.

... if the number on the amp says 200Hz then this does not mean it is 200Hz in reality.

The Oris horn with passive filter and acoustical parameter does not say it is 200Hz as well.

Both vary with frequency and even worse shifted phase. With your present setting it can easily be that the phase between both the bass and Oris horn is shifted 90 degrees towards each other and then is does not matter if you flip the phase... it will not make any difference in the crossover range.

If you can't or won't measure to see what you're doing then experiment. Change the crossover frequency of the bass amp up or down, change the slope and flip the phase (many combinations possible) and listen what sounds best....

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

RSS Feed of thread