150 Crossover and w8-1808 crossover advice (BD-Design)

by DrewH, Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 00:24 (1772 days ago)

Hello,
I am working through my project on my Oris150 horns. I had them painted Toyota Tundra 1794 Sunset Bronze Mica (4U3) love the color. When the sun comes through the window they are beautiful.

Using Tangband w8-1808 in them in conjunction with some eminence alpha 15a's mounted in an open baffle design that came from http://www.quarter-wave.com/OBs/OB_Theory.html.

The first thing I learned! Never listen to your speakers before they are broken in. (I tried to skip that step and was very disappointed.)
Now that they are broken in they sound great!

I am a newbie to crossover design. Attached is a picture of some of the measurements that I did with REW. I am using a subwoofer amp that is turned down to the lowest volume setting and the eminence still seem a little high. The sub amp is older and has a lot of hum. I want to switch over to a passive low pass filter and a different amp any thoughts or recommendations on crossover. Does 159hz seem like the correct place to cross?

Thank you,
Drew

[image]

[image]

150 Crossover and w8-1808 crossover advice

by Bert @, Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 06:16 (1772 days ago) @ DrewH

Hi Drew,

Question: what was the position of the mike during the measurements?

What I see is too much bass (level) and too much output of the bass driver above the crossover point. The effect can clearly be seen by the changes of the frequency plot when only the midrange is playing and when also the bass gives output.

My guess is that you'll need a steeper slope to reduce output above 200Hz which will be difficult with a passive solution.

Best way to start is to measure both bass and horn seperately at the same position to see what both outputs look like. The trick is to mirror the output in the crossover range in a way that both curve looks the same in the crossover range both visible crossing -6dB which will be the optimal crossover point.

Next step is to flip the phase of the bass or horn and measure. The deeper the dip the better in phase the signals will be when all is connected in phase...

Measure at 1m distance with the mike at the same heigth as the lower edge of the horn while you sit on the listening position. You should see the mike at that position from your listening spot.

Noise: this is because your main amp makes to much noise which is amplified by the bass amplifier. With too much output this will be even worse... find a more silent amplifier or use a pre-amplifier to feed both the main amp and bass amp seperately.

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

by DrewH, Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 20:34 (1771 days ago) @ Bert

Thank you Bert. I had measured from my listening position. My thought was that would be the most similar to what I am hearing. I will try to measure from 1M away as you suggest.

Drew

by Bert @, Thursday, June 13, 2019, 12:23 (1771 days ago) @ DrewH

I will try to measure from 1M away as you suggest. :good:

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

RSS Feed of thread