Oris 150 Build Underway (BD-Design)

by Wilson1, USA, Sunday, May 19, 2019, 23:59 (1797 days ago)

Hi Bert... I wanted to give you an update on my Oris 150 build and ask a question. The horns are high quality and completeness of the kit is outstanding! Attached are a couple pictures of the horns after 4 coats of primer (sanding between each coat) and 3 coats of bronze paint. I had originally intended to paint then patina using an oxidizer but the paint came out so well that I decided to not patina.

My question is regarding the insulation that you provided with the horns for inside the driver tube. I want to but some to use inside the base enclosures. Do you know of any suppliers in the US or can inform me as to the other industries where it is used so I can source locally to me.

Best regards,

Mark

[image]
[image]

Oris 150 Build Underway

by avaarni @, Monday, May 20, 2019, 14:36 (1796 days ago) @ Wilson1

Looks great! :yes:

Oris 150 Build Underway

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Monday, May 20, 2019, 20:12 (1796 days ago) @ Wilson1

If the subject insulation if still the thick wool felt as it was back in 2004 when I built my Oris 150 systems you might try these sources shown by a quick Google search.

"bout 3,400,000 results (0.49 seconds)
Ads

100% Wool Felt | Tons in stock | SutherlandFelt.com‎
Adwww.sutherlandfelt.com/WoolFelt‎
(877) 879-3358
Leading Felt Supplier Since 1902. Review Largest Felt Inventory Now! Free samples/online store. In stock/24 hour shipping. Services: Adhesive Backing, Die Cutting, Gerber CNC Cutting.
Pressed Wool Felt
Sold By the Yard, Slit To Width,
Or As Cut Parts. Request a Quote.
Sheet Felt
Low Cost Alternative To Pressed
Wool. Buy Online Now!
Quality Wool Felt | Hundreds Of Colors | Shop Now | TheFeltPeople.com‎
Adwww.thefeltpeople.com/‎
The Felt People Are A Premier Supplier Of Wool Felt. Shop And Save Today! Our Customers Come First. Free Samples. Quick Shipping. Types: Wool Felt, Felt Ribbon, Thick Felt, Die Cut Shapes, Pool Table Felt, Poker Table Felt, Felt With Adhesive, Industrial Pad Felt.
Shop Our ProductsBrowse Our ShopContact UsFree SampleOur Services

Search Results
Web results
Thick wool felt | Etsy
https://www.etsy.com/market/thick_wool_felt

Check out our thick wool felt selection for the very best in unique or custom, handmade pieces from our sewing & needlecraft shops.
Amazon.com: Thick Wool Blend Felt 3mm 1 Yard Cut, Felt Yardage ...
https://www.amazon.com/Thick-Blend-Yardage-Fabric-Light/dp/B07BWGMVNB

Rating: 3.9 - ‎9 reviews
Dry clean only;wool felt is a delight to work with. ... HomeModa Studio Thick Wool Felt Fabric Sheet,Designer Wool Felt by the Yard,3mm and…. ... Thick Wool Felt, 35% Wool Blend,18x36 inch Sheets,DIY Projects, Felt Crafts, Applique, Wool Felt Sheet,Home Decor Felt….
Pressed Wool Felt & Sheet Felt - Sutherland Felt Company
https://sutherlandfelt.com/products/pressed-wool-felt-sheet-felt/

These standards determine the wool content, density, and other physical and mechanical properties of the felt. Pressed wool felt is identified by the SAE ...
People also ask
Is wool felt washable?

What is wool felt?

Is wool felt the same as wool?

What is merino wool felt?

Feedback
Web results
Pressed Wool Felt - Sutherland Felt Company
https://sutherlandfelt.com/felt/pressed-wool-felt/

These standards determine the wool content, density, and other physical and mechanical properties of the felt. Pressed wool felt is identified by the SAE ...
Designer Thick Felt Wool Fabric | 3mm Wool Felt Fabric by the Yard
https://www.thefeltpod.com/3mm_wool_felt_fabric_s/1856.htm

Imported from Europe, our designer felt fabric is 3mm thick and is 100% Merino felt with all ... Our thick wool felt fabric is ecologically friendly, made out of 100% ...
Wool Felt Fabric Natural | JOANN
https://www.joann.com/wool-felt-fabric-36-natural/8020372.html

$17.49 - ‎In stock
Made of 100% wool, this natural-hued, tightly woven felt fabric is soft, durable and comfortable to wear. Get wool fabric by the yard at JOANN.
Felt Materials - Firm Sheet Felt - The Felt Company
www.thefeltcompany.com › Felt Materials

Made from high quality virgin wool, our sheet felt is a mechanically pressed wool product. More dense than our standard SAE felts, sheet felt cannot be made ...
Wool Felt - Weir Crafts
https://www.weircrafts.com/wool-felt/wool-felt.html

60 colors of 100% merino wool felt, 3mm 100% wool felt, thick handmade pure wool felt, merino prefelt, 70% wool felt.
‎100% Wool Felt (EU) · ‎Undyed Wool Felt · ‎70% Wool Felt
2mm, 3mm & 5mm Wool Designer Felts – Aetna Felt
https://www.aetnafelt.com/collections/designer-felts-1

This felt can be treated to meet building material fire regulations. We are now also offering 3mm and 4mm Thick Synthetic Designer Felt in 20 great colors!
3mm Thick Wool Felt - Yard - A Child's Dream
https://achildsdream.com/3mm-thick-wool-felt-yard/

Oris 150 Build Underway

by Bert @, Tuesday, May 21, 2019, 05:34 (1796 days ago) @ Wilson1

Nice!

Where to get the same material locally? I have no idea... I buy it here in the Netherlands cut to size.

You should have asked before so that I could add it to the package withour extra shipping costs. But then you did not know about the stuff...

Pretty expensive when its getting real thick and yet flexible though!

Not sure why you need it for your bass system though, if it needs felt the the design is not good and if it does then it might be too much absorbing energy making the sound dull?

Cheers,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Oris 150 Build Underway

by Wilson1, USA, Tuesday, May 21, 2019, 13:19 (1795 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert... What is the correct damping material to use for the Compact Reference base enclosure?

Best regards,

Mark Harris

Oris 150 Build Underway

by Bert @, Tuesday, May 21, 2019, 14:04 (1795 days ago) @ Wilson1

What is the correct damping material to use for the Compact Reference base enclosure?

What is the material used for the Compact? Does it need panel dampinpening or is it still enough (knock on wood sound).

If stiff (one inch Birch Ply) then you only need to loosely fill the whole enclosure with synthetic fibre (BAF). Same stuff used as isolation in warm winter jackets...

If too much unwanted character of sound then panel dampinpening would help to reduce the amount to acceptable levels.

Bert

--

Oris 150 Build Underway

by Wilson1, USA, Tuesday, May 21, 2019, 18:52 (1795 days ago) @ Bert

OK got it. I have my eye on a couple of my wife's pillows.

Best regards,

Mark

Oris 150 Build Underway

by Bert @, Tuesday, May 21, 2019, 18:59 (1795 days ago) @ Wilson1

OK got it. I have my eye on a couple of my wife's pillows.

:lol:

--

Oris 150 Build Underway

by Wilson1, USA, Friday, June 07, 2019, 02:39 (1779 days ago) @ Wilson1

Hi all... What is a good starting point for a crossover frequency and slope for the Reference Compact when working with the Oris-150's.

Oris 150 Build Underway

by Bert @, Friday, June 07, 2019, 08:13 (1779 days ago) @ Wilson1

Crossover 165-180Hz with 12-18dB slope. It depends a bit on the used driver in the horn and how the rear is loaded (open at the rear or closed or using more or less dampening material)

Best would be an adjustable version (with adjustable phase as well) so that you can tweak it optimally.

Cheers,

Bert

--

Oris 150 Build Underway

by Wilson1, USA, Monday, June 10, 2019, 05:29 (1776 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert & all... Finally the Oris-150's + Reference Compact are online. Picture below. The horns sound glorious with the Coiencident 300B monoblocks. Still working on the xovers via mini-dsp.

[image]

Oris 150 Build FINISHED

by Wilson1, USA, Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 00:55 (1775 days ago) @ Wilson1

Well... Finally finished over the weekend and have started tuning. Thanks very much to Bert for the awesome Oris 150 Kit, everything fits perfectly and is high quality.

Hard to see in the pictures but the horns are painted bronze and the base enclosures are semi-gloss black w/ bronze flakes. Looks really good in person but was really difficult to do. I purchased the bronze paint and oxidizing patina chemicals to make an aged bronze look but the non patinaed paint looked so good I decided to skip the patina all together.

Here is the system:
PS-Audio BHK Signature Pre
PS-Audio DSD DAC w/ Network streaming bridge
PS-Audio Digital Memory Player
Coiencident Frankenstein-II 300B monoblocs
Crown K2 Amplifier (for the base enclosures)
MiniDSP 2x4HD (used as a crossover for the base enclosures)
Oris-150 main speakers w/ AC2.6 drivers (running full range)
BD-Reference Compact base enclosures w/ BD-15 drivers

[image]
[image]

Oris 150 Build FINISHED

by Bert @, Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 09:12 (1775 days ago) @ Wilson1

Well... Finally finished over the weekend and have started tuning. Thanks very much to Bert for the awesome Oris 150 Kit, everything fits perfectly and is high quality.

Looking gorgious! Thanks for sharing! :cool:

Happy tuning and enjoy listening!

Cheers,

Bert

--

Oris 150 Build FINISHED

by Wilson1, USA, Tuesday, July 02, 2019, 23:13 (1753 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert and all...

The Oris-150 system has been online for about a month now and I am stunned at how good it sounds. The clarity and dynamics are fantastic! Frankly, I am truly surprised at how good the BD-15 and enclosures perform, they crank. So... Bert does the Orphean actually sound better than this?

Best regards,

Mark

Oris 150 Build FINISHED

by Bert @, Thursday, July 04, 2019, 19:01 (1751 days ago) @ Wilson1

Bert does the Orphean actually sound better than this?

In many ways yes.... if you can tackle the Xover with a good bassystem then yes!

Higher sensitivity, less distortion (no papersound), more inner detail (cleaner), better dispersion and therefore more 3D.

No need to upgrade at once though, both are real fun in many ways! Enjoy the ride ... :cool:

Bert

--

RSS Feed of thread