Questions on Oris 200 .......................... (BD-Design)

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Sunday, May 05, 2019, 23:30 (1789 days ago)

A friend of mine has a pair of Oris 200 Horns. There is a passive crossover hooked up before the Bass Bin, which I assume is crossed over at 200 Hz.

His Horn Amps are directly connected to the drivers on the Oris 200 Horns. I believe that the drivers are AER and was wondering if they are playing Full Range or if they have been modified some how to play above 200 Hz?

Just wondering how the Oris 200 Horn System is configured?

Questions on Oris 200 ..........................

by Bert @, Monday, May 06, 2019, 08:55 (1789 days ago) @ Kevin

A friend of mine has a pair of Oris 200 Horns. There is a passive crossover hooked up before the Bass Bin, which I assume is crossed over at 200 Hz.

His Horn Amps are directly connected to the drivers on the Oris 200 Horns. I believe that the drivers are AER and was wondering if they are playing Full Range or if they have been modified some how to play above 200 Hz?

Just wondering how the Oris 200 Horn System is configured?

Your guess is as good as mine...

AER can't be modified to play only from 200Hz and up so it will play full-range if the amp is indeed connected directy unless the horn amp has a passive line level or active crossover at its inputs.

The AER can play full-range though (the horn will acoustically only cover from 200Hz and up) but beware of too much cone movement at low frequencies while playing them loud.

Perhaps the passive crossover before the bass bin was originally configured for the Oris 200's?

I can't tell without schematic or diagram because it is a DIY configured system.

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Monday, May 06, 2019, 21:23 (1788 days ago) @ Bert
edited by Kevin, Monday, May 06, 2019, 21:31

There is nothing between the Amp and the Horn Drivers.

Would sticking a Capacitor between the Amp and each Horn Driver be a good idea? Just to pass everything above 200 Hz. I'm thinking, if the Drivers are 8 ohm; a 100uf Cap, if 16 ohm; a 50uf Cap.

by Bert @, Monday, May 06, 2019, 22:26 (1788 days ago) @ Kevin

AER is always "16" ohms..

Best values will be 39uF + 4,7mH (2nd order) as most effective protection with a little boost at 200Hz as bonus.

Just a simple capacitor will not do much unless you add a RC network to correct the impedance peak at Fc....

Bert

--

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Tuesday, May 07, 2019, 03:47 (1788 days ago) @ Bert

Like this ?

[image]

by Bert @, Tuesday, May 07, 2019, 08:14 (1788 days ago) @ Kevin

No, 39uF and 4,7mH

A loudspeaker is not a resistor with a fixed value but a frequency dependent resistor (impedance).

Using a Lowther, Fostex or any other driver than AER changes the needed values as well.

--

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Tuesday, May 07, 2019, 08:51 (1788 days ago) @ Bert

So, these Calculators are of no use in this instance?

https://electronicbase.net/high-pass-filter-calculator/

Can you show me how you arrived at your values?

by Bert @, Tuesday, May 07, 2019, 08:59 (1788 days ago) @ Kevin

So, these Calculators are of no use in this instance?

Only when the impedance is equal over the entire frequency range.

Can you show me how you arrived at your values?

Measure?

--

RSS Feed of thread