Which AER / New Foam? (BD-Design)

by jdunham @, Monday, December 10, 2018, 15:45 (1935 days ago)

Hi all,

Does anyone know which AER's I have as shown here:

[image]

I also need some new foam surrounds and spiders. Anyone know where I can get some? I can't justify €1100 to send them back to AER in Germany, that's an obscene amount I think!

Its only now when planning a house move that I've realised these have been in my Oris 200 for over 15 years now, so I guess the foam hasn't aged too prematurely.

Cheers,

Jonathan

Which AER / New Foam?

by Bert @, Monday, December 10, 2018, 16:23 (1935 days ago) @ jdunham

Hi Jonathan,

Does anyone know which AER's I have as shown here:

These are a combination of Lowther and AER... These are AER front parts with Lowther magnets (on the picture probably from an EX4).

I also need some new foam surrounds and spiders. Anyone know where I can get some? I can't justify €1100 to send them back to AER in Germany, that's an obscene amount I think!

Sorry, can't help you with this except:

http://www.bd-design.nl/forum/index.php?id=17795

Cheers,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Which AER / New Foam?

by jdunham @, Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 11:02 (1935 days ago) @ Bert

Ah thanks Bert, I was pretty sure you'd know!

That does make sense now, being the DX4 magnets on AER frame and cone. I got those drivers before AER had sorted out their higher end version out, and wanted something better than the entry level ones.

I'll keep looking on the foams then, I'm sure I'll find some the same as are on there currently. I'll post back when I do in case anyone else needs to do the same. I know there are others here who have reported AER foam rot. I don't think anyone has formulated a foam which doesn't degrade over time yet!

Cheers,

Jonathan

PS. I like the look of the Revelation bass system. I'd love to hear how those compare to my 2 X 15" dipoles.

Which AER / New Foam?

by ThomasT, Thursday, January 31, 2019, 03:35 (1884 days ago) @ jdunham

Same problem but also one voice coil was 'rubbed out' ie self-destructed. Instead of paying a crazy price for another shoddy, flimsy short-lived AER, I bought the AudioNirnvana (USA) 8inch neodiniums for less than 1/4 price of an AER repair. I tried many repairers but nobody would touch AER except the AER guys for a total rebuild for the price of a used Mercedes. AN speakers have impregnated cloth surrounds so no more powdered surrounds after a decade or so. I find the AN speakers 'richer' than the AERs in the Oris150.

Which AER / New Foam?

by jdunham @, Thursday, January 31, 2019, 18:14 (1883 days ago) @ ThomasT

Hi Thomas,

Interesting post.

Which Audio Nirvana's did you buy, and what enclosures are they mounted in? I'd be keen to hear what you thought of the sound quality of these compared to the AER's.

If you're interested I'd happily buy your AER's from you, whatever their condition.

Cheers,

Jonathan

RSS Feed of thread