Orphean horns and bd15 in open baffle (BD-Design)

by avaarni @, Friday, November 09, 2018, 16:48 (1989 days ago)

Hi all,

I have Orphean horns (M5) with open baffle bass system. Few weeks ago replaced my cheap Eminence Alpha drivers with a pair of BD15 drivers. I never got BD15 to drivers work in enclosure as well as I wished (due to my room I guess). In open baffle it seems to be another story. The equalizing with Hypex went smoothly and I achieved very good results to my ear.

After all these years I am still amazed how good quality records can sound with this system :yes:

I still need one more pair of BD15s to finish the system. Two drivers in one baffle.

All in all, one happy listener here!

Antti

Orphean horns and bd15 in open baffle

by Bert @, Friday, November 09, 2018, 19:31 (1989 days ago) @ avaarni

Thanks Antti,

I know how the drivers perform in an open baffle... the Quasar has proven itself over the years! :-)

But if you can't find any BD15's anymore then 1 per channel will work well (-6dB loss) if you would use it closest to the floor.

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

by avaarni @, Friday, November 09, 2018, 20:22 (1988 days ago) @ Bert

Thanks for the tip Bert.

Do you still sell BD15 drivers?

Antti

by Bert @, Friday, November 09, 2018, 20:43 (1988 days ago) @ avaarni

Thanks for the tip Bert.

Do you still sell BD15 drivers?

No sorry, I have sold all remaining stock.

Another good candidate is the Beyma SM115/N (all drivers...), mixing them will not work optimally.

Cheers,

Bert

--

by Boyan @, Thursday, January 24, 2019, 22:22 (1912 days ago) @ Bert

Sorry for the off topic, but as you mention there is no more BD15 drivers, so can I use Beyma sm155n in REF2010 enclosures I am bulding? I happened to have a pair of Beymas

by Bert @, Friday, January 25, 2019, 19:24 (1912 days ago) @ Boyan

Dear Boyan,

Sorry for the off topic, but as you mention there is no more BD15 drivers, so can I use Beyma sm155n in REF2010 enclosures I am bulding? I happened to have a pair of Beymas

Yes, no problem regarding specifications! The magnet of the 115 will probaly be larger so some adjustents to the internal matrix will be needed. A thicker baffle or mounting ring will work too..

Bert

--

by avaarni @, Sunday, May 19, 2019, 14:49 (1798 days ago) @ avaarni

Little update here. I had Oris 150 horns for REF2010 cabinets without action so I decided to put them back to work. :cool: [image]

by Bert @, Sunday, May 19, 2019, 20:19 (1798 days ago) @ avaarni

Cool! :cool:

I am sure you can get the integration even better now?

Cheers,

Bert

--

by avaarni @, Monday, May 20, 2019, 14:48 (1797 days ago) @ Bert

Yes! :) I would describe it that the sound has now with more flesh in the mid range, more "analog" and smoother musical experience and also more stable image.

Do have any tips regarding Hypex XO settings? I did not change much, mainly just lowered gain.

RSS Feed of thread