Oris 150 roll off natural or needs Xover (BD-Design)

by ThomasT, Saturday, August 25, 2018, 12:47 (2071 days ago)

I have the Oris 150 with AudioNirvana neodiniums. (Won't use AER(3) again as they fell to bits, surrounds became powder, 1 voice coil fell to bits with normal/little use over the years).

I read from Bert that the Oris 150 natural fc is 150. Not being a techie, does this mean that the Oris 150 naturally rolls off at 150Hz. Transcendent Sound, TS, has a Sub Buddy where one can set that frequency cut/roll óff. TS claims that if the frequency is set say to 120hz the full range driver doesn't need to struggle to go deep as possible with long cone excursions. TS claims this would clean up the mid range. Any suggestions Bert?

Oris 150 roll off natural or needs Xover

by Bert @, Saturday, August 25, 2018, 12:56 (2071 days ago) @ ThomasT

Hi Thomas,

I read from Bert that the Oris 150 natural fc is 150. Not being a techie, does this mean that the Oris 150 naturally rolls off at 150Hz. Transcendent Sound, TS, has a Sub Buddy where one can set that frequency cut/roll óff. TS claims that if the frequency is set say to 120hz the full range driver doesn't need to struggle to go deep as possible with long cone excursions. TS claims this would clean up the mid range. Any suggestions Bert?

The Oris 150 does not give extra sensitivity or ouput below 150Hz, there is a natural roll-off starting at around 220-200Hz depending the used driver, on the rearchamber internal volume and if it is closed or not.

If fully open then there is much less output at 150Hz and the roll-off is much steeper.

Setting a crossover at 100-120Hz (second order!) does not change the output much but it will highly reduce the mechanical movement of the driver at the lower frequencies.

My advice would be to use a crossover if you play loud, if not then it is not needed. You can check the movement of the driver at your normal listening levels while playing deep bass sounds..

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

by ThomasT, Saturday, August 25, 2018, 13:43 (2071 days ago) @ Bert

Tks, Bert. Well explained.

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Monday, August 27, 2018, 19:07 (2069 days ago) @ Bert

I just wanted to add a little post in support of the AER MD-3s. I have been using the same MD-3s for about fourteen years. They are played almost daily, often for several hours each day. They are acoustically and visually just as good as the day Bert shipped them to me.

by ThomasT, Monday, August 27, 2018, 19:32 (2069 days ago) @ Don Reid

Lucky you.. mine were expensive crappola.. my AudioNirvana neodiniums are much richer, more musical, at 1/10th the price. Wagner Opera with Vienna Phil and Solti now blazing magic. For just 2 new cones from AER, I can go and enjoy Vienna Phil many, many times! I betcha I'm not the only one whose Aers went Kaput.. I that why AER immediately said, re-cone.. no problem.. just cost you an arm and a leg.

by ThomasT, Monday, August 27, 2018, 20:15 (2068 days ago) @ ThomasT

and no.. I wasn't driving the AERs with a mega trannie amp but the 1.5watt TS SE OTL.

by ThomasT, Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 08:45 (2068 days ago) @ ThomasT

Maybe the AER surrounds that fine-powdered were from supplier X who made a bad batch. The AN surrounds are treated cloth. Maybe the cone paper was supplier Y and had a weak area, and the guy who wound the failed voice coil may have had a bad head cold. All I'm pointing out is that it's not Bert's nor AERs fault, it's that the most expensive may not always be 'perfect'.

Much the same as the Rolls Royce Silver Shadow I bought in Hong Kong with just 70K miles on the clock. Within one year the starter and alternator failed and the electric windows multiple times. Garage.. they are made by Lucas not RR. The engine began to spew blue oil smoke. Who knows who had made the piston rings. Then the car went slower and slower. I took at back to the garage, hardly moving at full power. They drained the oil and it was full of metal. Repair I asked. Nah new box. Why I asked. The box is made by General Motors usa for trucks.. but your car is too heavy for this design. Put in a new one and sell it.. I said. Meanwhile my Chines friend Johnny C. had a white RR Silver Shadow with umpteen miles clocked and he said.. not a thing has gone wrong. Lucky he.

RSS Feed of thread