Amplifier for Orphean (Orphean)

by Rami, Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 10:14 (2169 days ago)

Hi,

What amplifiers are you using with your Orpheans? Personally I have currently small 2W EL84 based tube amp. I have tested some other amplifiers with these horns (Hypex, Bakoon and Red Wine Audio) and bakoon and my current EL84 are only silent amps with Orphean.

I was looking at some 300B type amp (example, lm210ia) but its not always guarenteed that amps are silent with orpheans kind of sensitivity. So the question is what amps have you used with great results in your own Orphean system?

Amplifier for Orphean

by Bert @, Thursday, May 17, 2018, 12:22 (2168 days ago) @ Rami

Hi Rami,

What amplifiers are you using with your Orpheans? Personally I have currently small 2W EL84 based tube amp. I have tested some other amplifiers with these horns (Hypex, Bakoon and Red Wine Audio) and bakoon and my current EL84 are only silent amps with Orphean.

I am using my own SS amps to drive the horns, tried tubes as well (with feedback) and those work well too as long as the SN-ration is less than -80dB.

Any higher and noise becomes audible with your ear to the horn up to noise at the listening position.

I was looking at some 300B type amp (example, lm210ia) but its not always guarenteed that amps are silent with orpheans kind of sensitivity. So the question is what amps have you used with great results in your own Orphean system?

Biggest problem with 300B and the like is hum... 50Hz or it's 2nd harmonic 100Hz (or 60Hz-120Hz). This is not audible through the horn but will be amplified if you use this signal to feed the bass. You'll need to add more gain to the bass channel to keep up with the Orphean.

In that case you should use a pre-amplifier (a silent one!) and feed both amps (main and bass) with this low level signal seperately.

Cheers,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Amplifier for Orphean

by Rami, Thursday, May 17, 2018, 13:00 (2168 days ago) @ Bert

Do you have any pre amps that you can recommend?

Im also intrested to hear what kind of amps are you using in your own system?

Amplifier for Orphean

by Bert @, Thursday, May 17, 2018, 13:39 (2168 days ago) @ Rami

Hi Rami,

Do you have any pre amps that you can recommend?

Sorry but no... I do not use a pre-amplifier myself either.

Im also intrested to hear what kind of amps are you using in your own system?

My own amps are a better variation of a Gain Clone (DC 1Hz-300kHz).

Using these so called BD30 amps for bass as well for mid- and high frequencies.

Cheers,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Amplifier for Orphean

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Wednesday, June 20, 2018, 22:53 (2134 days ago) @ Rami

Late to this topic, but I use SET amps for my Orphean System... 45, 2A3 and 300B amps and as Bert indicated it is best to use the signal off the pre-amp, as you will get too much Hummmm off the signal of the Amplifier. Many good Pre-amps out there. I am presently

using a Aretha Tube Preamp (6SL7) from http://www.erhard-audio.com/Aretha.html

He will customize this pre-amp for you as well, Type of Wood, circuits, etc. just ask. - Good Service as he is a small builder. I had mine built with High-End Caps, Paduak wood Chassis, Inlaid front Panel, Blue on/off light etc. Remote volume control (which is nice)

I also have a Welborne Pre-amp that I use ocassionaly. 6SN7.

Amplifier for Orphean

by ThomasT, Tuesday, August 21, 2018, 09:21 (2072 days ago) @ Kevin

I'm using Bert's Oris 150. Transcendent Sound is my choice for amps, (pinnacle 300B OTL) pre (masterpiece 300B)and sub pre. (sub buddy) Chord tranny amp for subs.

RSS Feed of thread