Why was the Oris 200 discontinued? (Oris Horns)

by dkalsi, Friday, July 21, 2017, 22:20 (2442 days ago)

I was curious why was the Oris 200 discontinued. I have a pair and love them.

Mine have been out of commission for a while but I'm getting ready to build bass bins for them and reassemble the system.

I have two questions:

1) Does any know how much efficiency is the Oris 200 add and over which frequency range. I'm assuming as the frequency increase the sound becomes more and more directional and thus the horn is not adding as much db as it would add to the lower frequency range.

2) I understand it is recommended for the horn to be crossover-ed at a frequency higher than its cutoff frequency. Can anyone tell me what the recommended crossover point would be for the Oris 200 horn?

Thanks,
DK

Why was the Oris 200 discontinued?

by Bert @, Saturday, July 22, 2017, 10:05 (2442 days ago) @ dkalsi

Hi DK,

I was curious why was the Oris 200 discontinued. I have a pair and love them.

Nothing wrong with them but the Oris 250 was the next step and having too many types laying around will not be very economical.

1) Does any know how much efficiency is the Oris 200 add and over which frequency range. I'm assuming as the frequency increase the sound becomes more and more directional and thus the horn is not adding as much db as it would add to the lower frequency range.

It depends on te driver used but at the low end the highest efficiency is gaining 12-18dB at around 250Hz and exponentionally less going up in frequency but still 6dB at relative large wave lengths due to reflections. Once the driver is becoming directive itself then there is no gain at all.

2) I understand it is recommended for the horn to be crossover-ed at a frequency higher than its cutoff frequency. Can anyone tell me what the recommended crossover point would be for the Oris 200 horn?

Only protective, the horn will do nothing below its cut-off frequency meaning that is acts as a steep crossover already...

... or corrective/protective when you use a relative high Q driver giving a hump around 250Hz. Then a second or first order crossover set to 300-400Hz will reduce this hump.

Never calculate, just experiment with parts and measure the result because impedance changes make the math useless.

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

RSS Feed of thread