Orelo vs. Quasar? (Orelo/Orelino)

by Rudy81 @, Dallas, TX, Saturday, April 27, 2013, 23:01 (4010 days ago)

Bert,

I was looking into various open baffle designs and ran into something called the Quasar. A quick Google search led me right back here to your Quasar MKII design. What a funny coincidence!

So, how do you find the comparison between your designs? Granted, your Orelo has 4 drivers, but am curious as to the performance difference of 1/2 an Orelo and the Quasar.

Very interesting!

Orelo vs. Quasar?

by Bert @, Sunday, April 28, 2013, 09:13 (4010 days ago) @ Rudy81

Hi Rudy,

You should know this yourself... imagine the Orelo without wings which is then basically the same as the Quasar. :prankster:

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Orelo vs. Quasar?

by Rudy81 @, Dallas, TX, Sunday, April 28, 2013, 15:44 (4009 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Rudy,

You should know this yourself... imagine the Orelo without wings which is then basically the same as the Quasar. :prankster:

Bert

Bert,

I was aware of the basic performance based on my outside measurements. I did not know if the thickness of the Quasar had any positive effect on the low end which is where I mostly saw a difference between the baffle alone and the wings added on.

The wings certainly make a difference.

Orelo vs. Quasar?

by Bert @, Sunday, April 28, 2013, 21:02 (4009 days ago) @ Rudy81

Hi Rudy,

The wings certainly make a difference.

The thickness does make a difference in rigidy but the wings basically do the same making it all more stiff. Another design feature for the Quasar is that you can cover the whole so it looks like a normal flat speaker without anything sticking out. Most women do not like to see the techical parts... :grin:

For the rest the Quasar is just a "simple" OB speaker.

Bert

--

Orelo vs. Quasar?

by Rudy81 @, Dallas, TX, Sunday, April 28, 2013, 21:08 (4009 days ago) @ Bert

I'm supposing that the wings help to "load" the lower end of the frequency spectrum. The FR difference between the plain baffle and the 'winged' baffle seems to show that fact. The issue will be, how small of a wing can we get away with, thus reducing the footprint of the entire thing.

It is not just the size..

by Bert @, Sunday, April 28, 2013, 21:19 (4009 days ago) @ Rudy81

...its the whole concept of the Orelo that makes the difference.

The Orelo fires a lot more energy forward (boosted) compared to the rear energy giving it less a cancellation problem (between rear(wall) and front waves) compared to a normal open panel design.

Less issues with placement and less issues with phase problems as a result.

This means that I can make a smaller Orelo being 50cm wide (same size as the Quasar as an example) giving a better performance (more dB's in the bass) compared to a flat design.

Looking better too... :cool:

Bert

--

It is not just the size..

by Rudy81 @, Dallas, TX, Sunday, April 28, 2013, 21:33 (4009 days ago) @ Bert

Exactly what I was thinking could be the case. I look forward to your new designs. In the mean time I might try various sizes and see what kind of response I can get.

RSS Feed of thread