My DIY 1/2 Orelo attempt. (Orelo/Orelino)

by Rudy81 @, Dallas, TX, Friday, April 05, 2013, 22:37 (4037 days ago)

I have been working on a DIY version of a half sized Orelo for the better part of a week now. I originally figured it would be easy to create a prototype to test before committing to creating the three I will need for my media room. I way off on the amount of work needed to create one of these....or at least for a woodworking amateur like me. This is a ton of work!

The goal is to use the DIY Orelo with dual Eminence Kappalite 3015LF drivers from 80Hz to 200Hz. My Oris horns will pick up from there. The low end will be handled by independent subwoofers, 20-80Hz. The system is currently set up that way, but I am using some DIY Double Bass bins I made a few years ago.

I really like the look of the Orelo and thought it work well with the Oris since I only need a limited frequency span from the woofers. I am also hoping to pick up sound improvement from the open baffle design.

I really appreciate Bert answering my questions on the subject. Please understand that any results I show have no bearing on Bert's professionally designed and built Orelo. These results are strictly what I have been able to achieve on my own. I can only expect Bert's Orelo to be superior in quality and performance.

Here are a few shots of my first prototype.

[image]
[image]
[image]

As you can see, this was put together very loosely so I could test the system response.

My DIY 1/2 Orelo attempt.

by Rudy81 @, Dallas, TX, Friday, April 05, 2013, 22:49 (4037 days ago) @ Rudy81

I used a calibrated Behringer microphone and REW 5 to evaluate the response of my prototype.

I needed to run these sweeps prior to continuing my build in order to evaluate the effect of changing the throat size from the 170mm that Bert recommended. Since this is not a horn, I wanted to see what the throat changes do. I need to decide on the throat size before continuing the build.

I tried the 170mm size, an intermediate 250mm and the full driver width of 370mm.

There is a response improvement between 160Hz and 600Hz with the 170mm throat vs. the 370mm. The 250mm plots fall right in between the 170mm and 370mm.

[image]
[image]

Right now I am leaning to the full 370mm throat...in the region I am interested, the response is nice and flat from 120Hz to 320Hz. With any of these throat settings, I will have to EQ the 80-120 Hz....unless the room adds some low end assistance which I am hoping will happen.

For comparison with my double bass bin, here is the response of that bin superimposed with the DIY Orelo. The DBB was tested a few years ago in the same outside location.

[image]

I would certainly appreciate any comments or suggestions.

My thanks to Bert for allowing me to work on this and to discuss this build on his forum.

Nice! Questions...

by Bert @, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 07:18 (4037 days ago) @ Rudy81

Hi Rudy,

Nice work and nice "review" showing the progress of your experiments! :cool:

Questions:

• What was the measuring position?
  • Why did you not try 120mm (or even smaller) as throath width?
  • Why did you not try another angle for the wings at the throat (making the horn mouth smaller)?

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Nice! Questions...

by Rudy81 @, Dallas, TX, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 15:11 (4037 days ago) @ Bert

Bert,

[*]What was the measuring position?

I placed the mic 1 meter from the mouth of the wave guide, both on the ground and on a tripod midway between the drivers. The tripod readings were very similar, but seemed to show an anomaly due to tripod height above the ground. So, I went with the ground level readings.

[*]Why did you not try 120mm (or even smaller) as throath width?

I went down to 170mm and no less since I knew that is what you had used.

[*]Why did you not try another angle for the wings at the throat (making the horn mouth smaller)?

Again, I did my best to replicate your drawing. This is the angle which matched your dimensions. I know the pictures I provided make the throat look much wider than yours and I too noticed that. However, I tripple checked all the measurements and they match your drawings. I took another photo from a different perspective and the angle looks more like your shots.

The various throat sizes I tried proved to make just very minor changes. Here is a comparison of three throat sizes.

[image]

As far as the angle of the wings, this angle shows a perspective more in line with what your shots show.

[image]

Now, some questions for you Bert. I am getting ready to continue work on the project, but now comes the attaching of the wings etc. I need to make some final decisions on the build.

Due to the results I see, I am plenty happy with the response and the throat at 370mm. For some reason, I like looking at the entire driver cone vs. just a section of it. Just aesthetics I guess.

Do you think narrowing the angle near the throat will make a difference? I should have tried that, but did not think of it.

I am very open to suggestions at this stage.

Thanks,
Rudy

Nice! Questions...

by fu_man @, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 15:26 (4037 days ago) @ Rudy81

Hey Rudy ,
cool stuff! Out of curiousity, if you ran your tests without the wings at all would that work to show the effect of the wings ?

Nice! Questions...

by Rudy81 @, Dallas, TX, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 15:29 (4037 days ago) @ fu_man

Hey Rudy ,
cool stuff! Out of curiousity, if you ran your tests without the wings at all would that work to show the effect of the wings ?

I would suppose that would be the case. Due to these questions, I might just hook everything up again today and get some answers to these questions.

I sure hope I don't find that a different angle would be better. The wing parts are already built and they were a very tedious part of the build. :no:

Without the wings, I would have to come up with some method to support the baffle alone. Hmmm....

Nice! Questions...

by fu_man @, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 15:54 (4037 days ago) @ Rudy81

well, good luck.
FWIW i thought your photo of the narrow throat set up had a better look, maybe because of the overall width to height porportion? Obviously you have a better vantage point, and much more relevant personal opinion! Either way you're doing a great job!
Maybe a couple of temporary batterns to 'tripod' the baffle up would do the trick and not interfere with the back wave too much?

Nice! Questions...

by Bert @, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 15:55 (4037 days ago) @ Rudy81

Hi Rudy,

Do you think narrowing the angle near the throat will make a difference? I should have tried that, but did not think of it.

It would further increase the efficiency in the mid-bass and thát is a good thing. You're going to EQ anyhow before the ampflier so every gain would be an improvement of dynamics.

3dB gain is 3dB more dynamic range and less distortion. Besides that, playing with the width helps to find the most optimal curve to EQ.

Bert

--

Nice! Questions...

by Bert @, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 15:58 (4037 days ago) @ Rudy81

I placed the mic 1 meter from the mouth of the wave guide, both on the ground and on a tripod midway between the drivers. The tripod readings were very similar, but seemed to show an anomaly due to tripod height above the ground.

Did you try to lift the whole construction a few cm's from the ground?

Cheers,

Bert

--

Nice! Questions...

by Rudy81 @, Dallas, TX, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 16:06 (4037 days ago) @ Bert

I'm about to run the tests again and get some answers to you guys.

Thank you for the ideas. Send any other suggestions in so I can try them out now that I have everything set up.

Rudy

Nice! Questions...

by Bert @, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 16:37 (4037 days ago) @ Rudy81

Thank you for the ideas. Send any other suggestions in so I can try them out now that I have everything set up.

No more things to figure out for you to be able to decide what works best for you and your drivers... :grin:

Have fun!

Bert

--

Nice! Questions...

by Rudy81 @, Dallas, TX, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 17:35 (4037 days ago) @ Bert

I'm glad you guys motivated me to set things up again and test a few more options.

I began by duplicating the setup and running a baseline plot to compare with what I did yesterday. Today's setup was extremely close to yesterday's results, and good enough for this task.

I then ran various throat widths to get a better feel for the effect of changing just the throat and leaving the wings angled as I originally built them, or what I call STD for reference in the plots.

The results show that the differences are minimal from 40-250Hz. Between 250Hz and 500Hz, is where the throat size seems to make most difference. As the throat is narrowed, performance improves in that frequency range. Above 650Hz, the inverse happens, as throat size narrows, performance decreases. The good news for me, is that in my range of interest 80-200Hz, the difference is very minimal....although worth consideration.

Based on closely looking at the minor differences, I am going with a 240mm throat opening.

[image]

BTW, every one of these plots is raw, un-smoothed and unmodified.

Now, as far as changing the angle of the wings relative to the baffle, I kept the throat at 240mm and tried a few measurements as I closed the opening of the wings. I started with 1320mm, which is the fixed angle of my wings. Then, tried 1193 and 890mm openings.

From 40-150Hz, as the wing opening narrows, the performance decreases. Above 150Hz, performance improves with narrowing wing opening. So, it is a tradeoff one way or the other. Since I am trying to optimize the performance below 200Hz, I will keep the opening as I built it....lucky for me!

[image]

And finally, the question of the wings vs. Open baffle and no wings. The results speak for themselves.

[image]

Having run all these tests, I am now ready to continue the build. I am modifying my plan and setting the throat opening to 240mm.

Nice! Questions...

by Bert @, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 17:46 (4037 days ago) @ Rudy81

Hi Rudy,

Great, now you do not have second thoughts after a few months. :-)

Looking forward to the in room measurements.

Cheers,

Bert

--

Nice! Questions...

by Bert @, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 18:07 (4037 days ago) @ Bert

There is one interesting measurement not mentioned, measuring at the rear respecting the same distance from the drivers... :-)

Oh well...

Bert

--

Nice! Questions...

by Rudy81 @, Dallas, TX, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 20:04 (4037 days ago) @ Bert

There is one interesting measurement not mentioned, measuring at the rear respecting the same distance from the drivers... :-)

Oh well...

Bert

I will have to leave that for the room measurements. I should have thought of that....darn.

The room measurement will be more pronounced due to room boundaries I'm guessing, but so will the main signal in the front.

For now, back to the shop to work some more.

by Rudy81 @, Dallas, TX, Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 02:13 (4033 days ago) @ Rudy81

Finally completed the build of the three half sized DIY Orelo bass wave guides and had a chance to take one of them to the media room prior to committing paint to the project.

Very interesting results of the performance of just half an Orelo. I can't imaging how much bass the full size units put out. My room is 20'x 27'x 9 and they had plenty of output....actually, a little more than my current DIY bass bins which use the same drivers.

Here is the three parts to be assembled. Much easier to lug upstairs by myself than a whole speaker!

[image]

The plan is to place the Oris 150s on top of the wave guide once the project is complete.

[image]

I ran several tests on the setup, first up was the Impedance curve for both Eminence Kappalite 3015LF drivers once mounted on the Baffle.

[image]

This is the first sweep taken in the room with the mic 3' from the mouth of the waveguide. Reasonably flat for an in room measurement from my experience.

[image]

Double them up...

by Bert @, Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 10:11 (4033 days ago) @ Rudy81

Thanks for the updates Rudy!

Very interesting results of the performance of just half an Orelo. I can't imaging how much bass the full size units put out.

There is only one way to find out...and then it is not only about how much but think of other major benifits as well. :drool:

Bert

--

by Rudy81 @, Dallas, TX, Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 02:25 (4033 days ago) @ Rudy81

I then compared the measurement I took outside against the in room response. I'm not sure why the in room measurement seems to lose output above 200Hz. Any ideas?

[image]

Just by ear, I could tell the waveguide was 'louder' or more efficient when compared with the right bass bin. I then ran a comparison of the waveguide against the bass bin with identical mic location and all other settings the same.

[image]

I guess my ears weren't lying to me. I was pleased to see better response and the only difference is the enclosure vs. the waveguide. Looks promising based on that alone. The waveguide also seems to offer an overall flatter response. I had not expected that.

Smaller throat perhaps?

by Bert @, Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 10:13 (4033 days ago) @ Rudy81

I then compared the measurement I took outside against the in room response. I'm not sure why the in room measurement seems to lose output above 200Hz. Any ideas?

Might be the ceiling vs floor interaction? Side wall reflections? Either way, you might reconsider the width at the throat...remember the boost around 300Hz? It would make the reponse even more lineair.

Cheers,

Bert

--

Smaller throat perhaps?

by Rudy81 @, Dallas, TX, Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 16:03 (4033 days ago) @ Bert

Ah yes, I recall now. The nice thing about this setup is that I can change the throat as required after the build.

by Rudy81 @, Dallas, TX, Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 02:32 (4033 days ago) @ Rudy81

Bert had asked about taking a reading from behind the baffle vs. in front. While playing music I noticed that the back of the baffle is pretty quiet and not nearly what I expected from an open baffle type setup.

I placed the mic 2' from the back of the baffle and then 2' from the front.

[image]

There is obviously more output in front with than behind the baffle.

Overall, I am very pleased with the results of this project. Bert is definitely on to something with the Orelo. However, you will need a large room to accommodate these waveguides.....they are large.

I am new to the concept of open baffles and waveguides and am very impressed with what they can do.

When I get time I will get to painting them and then installing them in the media room. I will have the front three channels set up the same. The center channel will be interesting since it crosses at 800Hz with a compression driver and horn. I will post some plots on that when I set it up since it uses different woofers.

Please feel free to offer suggestions or comments.

Lift them 2 inches...

by Bert @, Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 10:22 (4033 days ago) @ Rudy81

Bert had asked about taking a reading from behind the baffle vs. in front. While playing music I noticed that the back of the baffle is pretty quiet and not nearly what I expected from an open baffle type setup.

This gives the major advantage that the rear energy is much less interfering with the front energy compared to standard OB's...

Overall, I am very pleased with the results of this project. Bert is definitely on to something with the Orelo. However, you will need a large room to accommodate these waveguides.....they are large.

No large room is needed for the Orelo, just more acceptance! :grin:

...or have the wings made from Acryl or glass. :cool:

I am new to the concept of open baffles and waveguides and am very impressed with what they can do.

Me too, nothing else will enter my listening room! :cool:

Please feel free to offer suggestions or comments.

Lift the half Orelo 2 inches from the floor with some feet and see/hear what happens...

Perhaps a bit too soon but still, it might be interesting at the moment as well.

Bert

--

Lift them 2 inches...

by Rudy81 @, Dallas, TX, Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 16:04 (4033 days ago) @ Bert

I will take a look at that option as things progress. Thank you for all your help Bert.

Lift them 2 inches...

by Rudy81 @, Dallas, TX, Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 16:37 (4033 days ago) @ Bert

Interestingly, the waveguides are larger than my current bass bins by only an inch or two in height and width. But, they just look bigger. Once I paint them black they will fade into the background more...or stand out some more. :grin:

Either way it will be fine...it is my man cave after all!

Lift them 2 inches...

by Rudy81 @, Dallas, TX, Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 16:40 (4033 days ago) @ Bert

Bert,
What do you suspect will be the effect when raising them off the floor? You have mentioned that option a couple of times.

As a minimum, I was going to raise them 1" with some metal 'feet' that are currently on my bass bins.

I am looking forward to setting up a stereo configuration and having a listen. It will, unfortunately, be about two weeks before I get back to the project. For now I have to pay attention to work.

Just give it a try...

by Bert @, Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 17:41 (4033 days ago) @ Rudy81

What do you suspect will be the effect when raising them off the floor?

Hard to explain fully. Just give it a try before you make things final.

I am looking forward to setting up a stereo configuration and having a listen. It will, unfortunately, be about two weeks before I get back to the project. For now I have to pay attention to work.

Work hard, the 2 weeks will be gone in no time! :heat:

Cheers,

Bert

--

Just give it a try...

by Rudy81 @, Dallas, TX, Thursday, April 11, 2013, 18:33 (4032 days ago) @ Bert
edited by Rudy81, Thursday, April 11, 2013, 18:41

While I'm away at work I ordered some tall speaker spikes to both raise the structure and also ensure good mass coupling to the floor. I'm hoping to maximize the bass output. I will lift them and test out your suggestion once I get everything set up.

Up next is paint and then setting them up in my listening room.

Bert, why do I get the impression that you already knew what my findings were going to be before I said anything. I suppose you did similar testing etc. when you ran your build.

Nothing like first hand experience!:cool:

The best way to learn...

by Bert @, Thursday, April 11, 2013, 20:41 (4031 days ago) @ Rudy81

...is by doing it yourself. :grin:

While I'm away at work I ordered some tall speaker spikes to both raise the structure and also ensure good mass coupling to the floor. I'm hoping to maximize the bass output.

It will not make any difference in output but it will give it a more firm placement if you take into account that the weight of the speaker is at its rear... it only needs a gentle push to have everything falling backwards.

Unless you made an extra support at the back (a "leg" or something) to prevent this to happen, or fill the wings with lead/sand when they're hollow...

Cheers,

Bert

PS The real reason to lift them is for something else... :grin:

--

The best way to learn...

by Rudy81 @, Dallas, TX, Friday, April 12, 2013, 05:26 (4031 days ago) @ Bert

Bert,
You are killing me with this lifting thing. I can't get to test this for some time and I'm just wondering what the benefit would be.

Anyway, with the Kappalite woofers, the weight distribution is much more forward and should not be a problem. The driver magnets are very light.

My wings are fiberglass insulation filled for good measure.

As soon as I can I will post more information.

This has been very enjoyable. We will see how my room will look with three side by side 1/2 DIY Orelo.

Cleaner, less colouration...

by Bert @, Friday, April 12, 2013, 16:17 (4031 days ago) @ Rudy81

...therefore more freedom of sound. It also makes the whole construction less sensitive for vibrations.

Bert

--

by Rudy81 @, Dallas, TX, Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 03:29 (4033 days ago) @ Rudy81

Bert,
One question for you in anticipation of setting these up at a later date. How far from the side and rear walls do you recommend placing the waveguides?

I sit 14' from the front of the room, so have a bit of leeway on placement.

Minimal 1 feet (30cm)

by Bert @, Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 10:37 (4033 days ago) @ Rudy81

One question for you in anticipation of setting these up at a later date. How far from the side and rear walls do you recommend placing the waveguides?

But more will be better, more freedom and cleaner sound at cost of some efficiency but not that much lost so... :wink:

Just give it a try!

Bert

--

Minimal 1 feet (30cm)

by Rudy81 @, Dallas, TX, Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 16:05 (4033 days ago) @ Bert

Very good. Sounds like some trial and error awaits my setup....but then that is standard for any of my acoustic projects.

Minimal 1 feet (30cm)

by Rudy81 @, Dallas, TX, Friday, April 12, 2013, 18:44 (4031 days ago) @ Bert

Bert,
What will the effect be of placing one of the baffles within a foot or so of a front wall. Reason I ask is that when I set up my center channel, it would ideally be set close to the front wall, but mid way in the room. If I move the center channel into the room 3 feet or more, it will start to intrude into the space in front of the sitting area and look less than ideal.

The center channel will have a set of Kappalite 3015s which go higher than the 3015LF drivers I am using for the R and L channel. I need to cross the center at 800Hz or so which is near the ideal of my 2" compression driver and horn combination. The center currently uses a ported enclosure as well.

I am hoping I will be able to keep the center OB within 1' of the front wall.

This might give some unwanted...

by Bert @, Friday, April 12, 2013, 20:11 (4031 days ago) @ Rudy81

What will the effect be of placing one of the baffles within a foot or so of a front wall.

Crossing at 200-300Hz no real issues besides being less room boundaries friendly but crossing 800Hz (meaning still having audible "noise" around 1200Hz) might give some unwanted interfering sound coming from the rear.

Some absorbing materials behind might cure most of it though...

I am hoping I will be able to keep the center OB within 1' of the front wall.

I would go for another Oris 150 and similar driver used for the left and right channel. Having the same for all three channels makes things a lot less disturbing...

Or when you're alone then a center channel is not needed at all.

Bert

--

This might give some unwanted...

by Rudy81 @, Dallas, TX, Saturday, April 13, 2013, 22:08 (4029 days ago) @ Bert

I would love to go with a center Oris, but the whole thing would be too tall. My listening room is also my theater room. I have a 120" movie screen right behind the center channel.

I use the center exclusively for 7.1 home theater use...not music.

I will have to try out some locations and also try the some acoustic absorption behind the speaker.

Thank you.

My DIY 1/2 Orelo ... finalizing the project....

by Rudy81 @, Dallas, TX, Friday, April 26, 2013, 00:50 (4017 days ago) @ Rudy81

I finally got a chance to set these up today. Although I have not had a chance to run any tests on these, I did listen to them with the settings for my previous bass bins. Boy they sound good. I'm looking forward to testing the in-room frequency response.

I thought I'd share some pictures of the project in the final stages. I still need to add the speaker spikes, which will raise them off the floor over an inch.

Having three of them in a room fills up the front of the home theater...good thing WAF is not a factor in 'my' room. :grin:

[image]

[image]

[image]

Beautiful!!!!

by samoore @, Friday, April 26, 2013, 07:51 (4017 days ago) @ Rudy81

Wish I could hear them. :yes:

Steve

Cool!

by Bert @, Friday, April 26, 2013, 08:48 (4017 days ago) @ Rudy81

Hi Rudy,

Thanks for sharing!

Having three of them in a room fills up the front of the home theater...good thing WAF is not a factor in 'my' room.

If WAF is not a factor then why not go for a full Orelo. There is enough space left for those... :wink:

Bert

--

Cool!

by Rudy81 @, Dallas, TX, Friday, April 26, 2013, 15:33 (4017 days ago) @ Bert

Certainly something to consider! I hope to get some measurements today. In particular I'm curious to see how that center works. The center uses a different Kappalite driver with more upper end capability.

I can't wait! ;-) nt

by Bert @, Friday, April 26, 2013, 20:42 (4016 days ago) @ Rudy81
edited by Bert, Tuesday, November 19, 2013, 11:05

- No text -

--

I can't wait! ;-)

by Rudy81 @, Dallas, TX, Saturday, April 27, 2013, 01:30 (4016 days ago) @ Bert

Here's the final product...for the time being. Based on the plots and frequency response, these things are still making me scratch my head. The response is just amazing for an open baffle system. No problem with using it for the center channel.

[image]

I can't wait! ;-)

by Rudy81 @, Dallas, TX, Saturday, April 27, 2013, 01:39 (4016 days ago) @ Rudy81

The center channel DIY Orelo will work just fine. Here is a raw plot of the frequency response. Overall no problem EQing minor issues. Darn good response considering this was taken inside a room, 3 feet away from the baffle.

I am crossing from the DIY Orelo to my HF horn at 780Hz based on the performance of both sets of drivers.

[image]

The bottom line

by Rudy81 @, Dallas, TX, Saturday, April 27, 2013, 01:47 (4016 days ago) @ Rudy81

Bert,
Your little idea is just fantastic for use with an Oris horn. This was perfect for me since I use a subwoofer from 20-70Hz. The DIY Orelo picks up from 70-200Hz or 70-750Hz depending on which channel.

Your design works extremely well, very clean and efficient. I ended up having to reduce the sensitivity on all three amplifiers powering the DIY Orelo's when I was running frequency response plots.....just proved that the Orelo concept is more efficient than the ported enclosures I was using.

Thank you for all your help and the great idea.

My pleasure!

by Bert @, Saturday, April 27, 2013, 11:03 (4016 days ago) @ Rudy81

Hi Rudy,

Thank you for all your help and the great idea.

Glad to be helpful with good working out ideas... in the meantime there were several smaller "Orelino's" being designed in my head already, very soon I will start cutting and experimenting further for those with a low WAF using the advantages of the basic principles used.

Enjoy listening!

Bert

--

My pleasure!

by Rudy81 @, Dallas, TX, Saturday, April 27, 2013, 15:12 (4016 days ago) @ Bert

Bert,
Glad to hear you are continuing to look at the design. Great idea on seeing how small a design you can get away with. Based on my baffle alone measurements, I think it should be possible to shrink the design and keep the performance.

At some point, I might look at that myself just for fun. The way I built mine, it will be easy to keep the baffle and change out wings ad desired.

[image]

Much smaller...

by Bert @, Saturday, April 27, 2013, 19:27 (4016 days ago) @ Rudy81

...and full range. Not just a bass panel but you'll see... :cool:

--

Much smaller...

by Rudy81 @, Dallas, TX, Saturday, April 27, 2013, 19:42 (4016 days ago) @ Bert

I'm looking forward to what you come up with!

RSS Feed of thread