Orphean setup with bass ... after many years (BD-Design)

by Rudolf150 @, Monday, January 16, 2012, 22:21 (4477 days ago)

As an inspiration to all other system builders :wink:

It is hard to believe, but after several system and sleeping/loft/house changes I have finally setup my system. It took me more than 10 years to add bass to my Lowther/Oris150/Orpheans. So to give you some evidence, here are some pictures. :grin:

Rudolf

[image]
[image]
[image]

It's about time!

by Bert @, Tuesday, January 17, 2012, 10:12 (4476 days ago) @ Rudolf150

Hi Rudolf,

It is hard to believe, but after several system and sleeping/loft/house changes I have finally setup my system. It took me more than 10 years to add bass to my Lowther/Oris150/Orpheans. So to give you some evidence, here are some pictures. :grin:

Nice work! :cool:

How's the bass implementation coming along? Do you like to have bass after all? :wink:

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

It's about time!

by Rudolf150 @, Tuesday, January 17, 2012, 21:21 (4476 days ago) @ Bert

Thanks Bert,

Yes I do like bass. Although not very 'high-endish', it is nice to control the bass volume :blush:
I am still fiddling with the knobs of the Behringer, I am trying (by hearing) to come to best compromise. Unfortunately I do have some aNoying resonances. Which I guess are coming largely from the (wooden) floor. Also I do miss the control from the bass amplifier; the punch is too soft.

First thing to tackle are the hard ticks when turn off the bass amplifier.

... but is was definitely worth the wait of 10 years. I fully understand my love for fronthorns (again).

Rudolf

It's about time!

by Bert @, Thursday, January 19, 2012, 06:34 (4474 days ago) @ Rudolf150

Hi Rudolf,

First thing to tackle are the hard ticks when turn off the bass amplifier.

Good luck with that. Are these high frequency ticks or ones that move the woofers?

Also I do miss the control from the bass amplifier; the punch is too soft.

This usually indicates to strong "sub" frequencies and/or not properly working integration between the bass' fundemental frequencies and its harmonics (the Orphean).

It is not easy to do by ear though...

Bert

--

It's about time!

by Rudolf150 @, Friday, January 20, 2012, 00:21 (4473 days ago) @ Bert

Good luck with that. Are these high frequency ticks or ones that move the woofers?

This usually indicates to strong "sub" frequencies and/or not properly working integration between the bass' fundemental frequencies and its harmonics (the Orphean).

It is not easy to do by ear though...

Bert

Hi Bert,

For some reason the bass amplifier seems to interact with the CrazyA. As I plugged the bass amplifier and CrazyA into the same mains extension lead, I will split them (also into the separate groups) and check the result.

Good point about the harmonics! I hadn't thought about that :no: but to fix this will take some fiddling (and fun) :cool:

You are right (and yes, I was warned), it is not so straightforward to adjust the bass by only hearing.

Cheers,
Rudolf

It's about time!

by Rudolf150 @, Monday, January 30, 2012, 00:18 (4463 days ago) @ Rudolf150

Hi Bert,

Although I haven't tried it multipe times, separating the bass amplifier from the CrazyA on the mains (separate groups) seems to do the trick; no hard ticks! :prankster:

I also changed some parameters on the Behringer; I lowered the high cut off frequency and chosen a shallower slope. It seems much better in balance now. The punch is not completely there yet, but it's more than OK :yes:

Quite confronting to listen to a Toto album (Tambu) tonight, that I had taken with me in 2000 to you for listening to the Oris for the 1st time. Now, after more than 10 years I have succeeded to listen build my own setup with bass and listen to the same album. :blush:

Listening to my setup, makes me smile and have respect for the cleanliness and the immense headroom of fronthorns :grazy:

Cheers,
Rudolf

It's about time!

by Bert @, Monday, January 30, 2012, 20:52 (4463 days ago) @ Rudolf150

Hi Rudolf,

Good to read that you are getting closer to your optimum...

...and that you finally listen to a complete sound with serious bass!
There's no way back now... :bass:

Bert

--

Orphean setup with bass ... after many years

by Rudolf150 @, Tuesday, August 07, 2012, 22:39 (4273 days ago) @ Rudolf150

The next phase has just finished; setting up the Behringer using a roomanalyzer from XTZ (Pro II) and of course the always patient and extemely helpful Bert:clapping:

I am really finished now ... after almost 12 years :blush:

So a picture of the final setup and the measured curve.

[image]

The sound is - as you would expect - is great. After 12 years, I am surely not bored with fronthorns from Bert :cool:

Many thanks Bert!:wink:

RSS Feed of thread