Diamonds (BD-Design)

by teigetje, Wednesday, May 25, 2011, 22:24 (4691 days ago)

Last Monday I was at Bert's place to listen to his latest creation: the Diamonds.
Before listening he first offered me coffee and talked about the T3 amp and the Feastrex which are used in the largest version of the Diamonds.

The Diamonds (not completely finished yet)not only look very elegant, they sound elegant as well.
Particularly woman's voice sound natural, transparent and warm. Enough body at the lower end with a bit laid back sound, compared to the Swings.
Different, but not better or worse when you're used to horn sound, just different.
Very nice with more intimate music and a with little adoption to over-engineered rock music too.

You should hear it yourself!

Btw, the construction looks easy to built, but certainly shows skills and crafmanship.

Thanks for the nice demonstration Bert. I want to hear them again when they're finished!

Greetz, Frank

Diamonds

by Rudolf150 @, Friday, October 21, 2011, 20:04 (4543 days ago) @ teigetje

Hi Frank & Bert,

A week ago I had a chance to listen to the Diamonds myself as well. I fully agree with your remarks. It is not a horn, it is not a speaker ... it just produces music easily. Not direct, not overdynamic, not dramatic, but an impressive calming soundexperience. Looks are great as well.

Well done Bert! Especially being the master in taming the fronthorns, you have done it again with an open baffle.

Rudolf

Diamonds

by Bert @, Friday, October 21, 2011, 21:18 (4543 days ago) @ Rudolf150

Hi Rudolf,

Thanks for visiting... :cool:

Well done Bert! Especially being the master in taming the fronthorns, you have done it again with an open baffle.

With the ones you've heard yes and now another version is playing which I do not want to tame as it woke me up and this is surprisingly giving a lot of fun! :swoon:

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Diamonds

by Rudolf150 @, Friday, October 21, 2011, 22:48 (4542 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Rudolf,

Thanks for visiting... :cool:

With the ones you've heard yes and now another version is playing which I do not want to tame as it woke me up and this is surprisingly giving a lot of fun! :swoon:

Bert

Hi Bert,

Sounds very interesting; especially with my over-the-top-fuzzy-music taste. Can you give us a hint about the difference in driver/construction with the model I've heard? :kiekeboe:

Ta,
Rudolf

Diamonds

by Bert @, Saturday, October 22, 2011, 08:17 (4542 days ago) @ Rudolf150

Hi Rudolf,

Sounds very interesting; especially with my over-the-top-fuzzy-music taste. Can you give us a hint about the difference in driver/construction with the model I've heard? :kiekeboe:

I am now using Lowther DX65 (with notch though..) and these are less laid back and relax sounding as the Feastrex drivers but very dynamic. Still a bit rough though but fun it is!

:bass:

Bert

--

Diamonds

by Rudolf150 @, Saturday, October 29, 2011, 21:35 (4535 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert,

It is good to give each of the Diamonds its own character. The dynamic - but not completely clean - sounds more like my taste.
Interesting those DX65. Can you give an idea about the sound difference of these compared to a 8" DX or 8" PM A? What was the reason to go for the baby-Lowther?

Rudolf

Diamonds

by Bert @, Sunday, October 30, 2011, 20:46 (4534 days ago) @ Rudolf150

Hi Rudolf,

It is good to give each of the Diamonds its own character. The dynamic - but not completely clean - sounds more like my taste.

Indeed it is a rather different character but more tamed and more correct than people are used to hear from Lowther in general...

Interesting those DX65. Can you give an idea about the sound difference of these compared to a 8" DX or 8" PM A? What was the reason to go for the baby-Lowther?

The DX65 is on paper the most dynamic driver from the Lowther range (using a DX4 motor) and having less moving mass and that is an interesting fact to explore further...

I also needed a smaller full-range driver for the smaller Oris 250 with 6" throat and therefore I used the "baby" Lowther but do not be fooled by its size... :swoon:

Anyhow, the driver was waiting for more tests and why not use them in the smaller Diamonds! Just as they are is not something I want people to swallow or adapt because it is just not right (way too much midrange!) so I had to design a notch for it and now it is the most smooth and best sounding Lowther driver of all I know without getting dull or lame, it even makes the 8" Lowther drivers sound a bit "weird"...

Differences between used magnet materials will be the same as know for the 8" drivers giving their own character.

Bert

--

RSS Feed of thread