Applying 150 to a 15" bass driver (Oris Horns)

by Butcus1 @, USA, Tuesday, June 08, 2010, 15:07 (5043 days ago)

I had a chance to do some experimenting last evening and have two options in mind but first I need some clarification so here goes.

I was able to get a pair of 150 horns from the friend of the guy that sold me speakers, he also had a router system and was able cut mounting rings. The one thing he couldn't find was the back chambers (still looking). We finally glued the horn to the ring and mounted it over the 15" Klipsch driver. There was a different sound of course, I did lose some of the articulation and noticed a decrease in volume. I fixed that by turning up the bass amp.

Does the absence of the back chamber make a big difference in the sound and volume?.

But I am having fun.

Best regards,

Applying 150 to a 15" bass driver

by Bert @, Wednesday, June 09, 2010, 09:19 (5042 days ago) @ Butcus1

Hi Fonz,

I was able to get a pair of 150 horns from the friend of the guy that sold me speakers, he also had a router system and was able cut mounting rings. The one thing he couldn't find was the back chambers (still looking). We finally glued the horn to the ring and mounted it over the 15" Klipsch driver. There was a different sound of course, I did lose some of the articulation and noticed a decrease in volume. I fixed that by turning up the bass amp.

I am not sure if I understand the experiment... did you mounted an original Oris 150 (with 8" throat) in front of the Klipsch 15" bass driver?

I am surprised to learn that is helps but as far as I know id that the EBP is not going high enough in frequency to be helping where it needs...

The whole idea behind using the Oris 150 for bass (which is not a bass horn to begin with) is to give an optimal behavior at the crossover frequency (220-270Hz) but then with cut throat. This works extremely well with the BD15's and should work the same with similar driver's TS-parameters.

Does the absence of the back chamber make a big difference in the sound and volume?

Ehhm, used as "bass" horn?

If used as horn in front of a full range driver is does make a difference with the advantage to load the horn further down in frequency making it possible to use it properly down to 150Hz. With open back the lower crossover frequency will be closer to 210-220Hz due to cancellation.

Cheers,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

by Butcus1 @, USA, Wednesday, June 09, 2010, 22:47 (5042 days ago) @ Bert
edited by Butcus1, Thursday, June 10, 2010, 03:05

Bert

I don't have the throat (back-chamber) for the 150. The 150 is glued directly to a circular template similar to yours and placed of over the 15" driver. I did not know if whether I should have cut the horn some so I left it original.
It sounds very good without the horn. Some say it is the best sound they have heard.

[image]

The picture shows trial and error. I am trying to work things out before having stands made.

Best regards,
Butcus1
:satisfied:

by Bert @, Thursday, June 10, 2010, 08:47 (5041 days ago) @ Butcus1

I don't have the throat (back-chamber) for the 150. The 150 is glued directly to a circular template similar to yours and placed of over the 15" driver. I did not know if whether I should have cut the horn some so I left it original.

Me neither and it might work well with your driver. Thing to know is that the throath should be tuned (its size) to the used driver. This will then determine the higher crossover point too..

It sounds very good without the horn. Some say it is the best sound they have heard.

Without the horn? :confused:

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

RSS Feed of thread