New rack (Tweaks)

by madprofessor ⌂, 27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Sunday, May 17, 2009, 10:29 (5450 days ago)

[image]
I just completed my new rack:
The basic frame ( the dark blue structure) ist made of stainless steel V4A profiles, 10 x 10 cm 5 mm thick. All that structure is filled with a mix of sand, copper shot and lead. The basic structure has rollers for easy positioning. When in place there are 4 adjustable spikes to lift the rack and adjust it.
All the boards are, by means of a winch-mechanismn hight adjustable. Each boards hangs on 4 stainles steel wires. Each two of them are fixed to a stainless steel bar. Than the boards are connected by polymere-dampers.
Each board is a compound of top and bottom layers of alloy foam. The middle layer is of multiplex and damping material. Each board is 45 mm thick.
By that dimensions it also shields the magnetic component of 50 Hz more than 85 %.
The steel wires are also damped ( the black "worms") to avoid any kind of resonance.
The complete structure is connected to ground (earth) All boards have separate ground wires. Total weight ( empty) is about 350 kg, which makes this piece of equipment more or less theft-proof!
It was much more work to adjust everything, than expected, but sonically it´s worth the effort!
Best regards
Stephan

Impressive...

by Bert @, Sunday, May 17, 2009, 10:38 (5450 days ago) @ madprofessor

...and much work! I am sure it contributes to better sound too!

What is that tube at the right side of the picture? :confused:

Bert

PS I hope you do not have to move to another house in the future, moving all the weigth and redo all modifications made to your present house...

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Impressive...

by madprofessor ⌂, 27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Sunday, May 17, 2009, 11:30 (5450 days ago) @ Bert

Hallo Bert!

Yeah, the work was worth it. Sure a rack like that also gives better sound in many areas!
The black tube at the side is one of my rear speakers for surround sound, when I watch a movie. Basically it´s two tubes of different diameter, the gap between them filled with sand. On top and bottom are two Focal speakers. The blue ball is a diffractor and a top of it sits the tweeter, also a Focal. Idea behind it was, that I was upset, that with normal speakers the surround efects come from one definitive source, which can sound very unreal. That diffractors improved the sound dispersion.
But it´s only an effect speaker. For listening to music I only use the two main speakers plus subwoofer!

No I´ve no plans of moving! Last time when I moved to the place over here, it was about 40 tons of electronics ( audio and measurement gear) plus some 10 tons of parts...

Best regards
Stephan

RSS Feed of thread