Cables for high-efficiency speakers? (Tweaks)

by carlesdg, Monday, February 02, 2009, 13:09 (5562 days ago)
edited by carlesdg, Monday, February 02, 2009, 13:23

Hello,

I have heard that the horns (and his power amps) are much less sensible to the cable characteristic (speaker and interconnects) than low (normal) efficiency speakers.

Do you agree with this affirmation?

Best regards

Cables for high-efficiency speakers?

by Bert @, Monday, February 02, 2009, 20:20 (5562 days ago) @ carlesdg

Hello Carles,

I have heard that the horns (and his power amps) are much less sensible to the cable characteristic (speaker and interconnects) than low (normal) efficiency speakers.

Do you agree with this affirmation?

No, I do not agree... :no:

Horns are more sensitive so less current is going through the cabling. Here the assumption might be right but sound wise (materials used, construction, impedance, etc....) all have an even bigger influence as high sensitive speakers more clearly show what you feed them... :wink:

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

by madprofessor ⌂, 27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Tuesday, February 03, 2009, 09:04 (5562 days ago) @ Bert

I agree with You Bert!
With good horn-speakers, differences in cables and other acessories are more clear to be heard. By having to drive less current, there is no need for very thick cables, which is an additional benefit!
Best regards
Stephan

by JAM @, Tuesday, February 03, 2009, 11:15 (5562 days ago) @ madprofessor

Hi!

Been listening to horn systems now for the last 10 years. My own personal experience so far:

- as Bert says, sensitive speakers reveal maybe even more minute details differing from cables than "regular" dead speakers, so choose wisely.

- an important thing is to have speaker cables not very likely to pick up RF noise and other nasty types of interference. Absolute best way is to have no cable at all, or, in other words, keep it as short as possible! And the two strands at a distance from each other, if possible.

- Silver works. I tried some DIY 4 mm sq. ones with silk, oil and Teflon, and compared to some very expensive flat cables (name witheld) they basically equalled or outperformed these (and saved a friend some 12.000 Euro's)

- Keep it simple. I strongly recommend Duelund cables. No hype, excellent performance/price. In fact, unbeatable performance/price in this crazy game...

by carlesdg, Tuesday, February 03, 2009, 17:45 (5561 days ago) @ JAM

Hello,

thanks to all for share your knowledges. It seems that Duelund cables are between the favourites for BD Design speakers. I have some questions about them:

-They can be used also with good results in speakers with efficiency around 90dB?

-Has anyone compared the Duelund to the Audio Note Kondo AN-SPx?

Best regards
Carles

by Bert @, Wednesday, February 04, 2009, 06:16 (5561 days ago) @ carlesdg

Hello Carles,

-They can be used also with good results in speakers with efficiency around 90dB?

Yes, no problem but then the more durable version would be a better option which can also be used for higher efficiency speakers just the same.

-Has anyone compared the Duelund to the Audio Note Kondo AN-SPx?

Nope, at least not me...

Bert

--

by carlesdg, Wednesday, February 04, 2009, 11:43 (5561 days ago) @ Bert

Hello Bert,

Yes, no problem but then the more durable version would be a better option which can also be used for higher efficiency speakers just the same.

Which one is the more durable version?

Carles

by Bert @, Thursday, February 05, 2009, 16:11 (5559 days ago) @ carlesdg

Hi Carles,

Which one is the more durable version?

That is the one with using the most silver and double Silk in oil isolation... most expensive version but not the least sounding though. :blush:

Bert

--

by JAM @, Wednesday, February 04, 2009, 10:49 (5561 days ago) @ carlesdg

Yes, I have tried, but only a very short length. A friend of mine is using quite long:shame: :shame: AN speaker cables (about 6 - 7 m.) on his Apogee Fullrange and I remember "borrowing" two 0,5 m. pieces for testing. I caNot say they played better than my regular 3 m. runs of Duelund. On the other hand, changing from Duelund to AN was not an issue, I just tried it for fun and did not do any serious test as such. What's the AN like pricewise??

by carlesdg, Wednesday, February 04, 2009, 11:48 (5561 days ago) @ JAM

What's the AN like pricewise??

It seems that the price of the AN SPx is very similar to the Duelund highest model.

Carles

by db @, Friday, February 06, 2009, 19:18 (5558 days ago) @ carlesdg

Hi Bert

i heard that there are three different wires offered by Duelund:

0.5 hookup wire
1.0 IC wire
2.0 speaker wire

which one do you use and recommend.
i know that people had good experience with lower gauge cable and high effi drivers????

do you offer all of the cables ?
what is the price?

best regards
db

by Bert @, Sunday, February 08, 2009, 12:24 (5557 days ago) @ db

Hi Bert

i heard that there are three different wires offered by Duelund:

0.5 hookup wire
1.0 IC wire
2.0 speaker wire

which one do you use and recommend.

All of them... :cool:

0.5 for internal wiring (Swings, Orphean, Crazy series), 1.0 as interconnects and the 2.0 as speaker wire. Using the 0.5 as speaker wire works pretty well too though but has only a single Silk isolation and is a bit more fragile...

i know that people had good experience with lower gauge cable and high effi drivers????

Yes indeed but not just lower gauge, the physical wire and used material are an important factor too.

do you offer all of the cables ?
what is the price?

Yes, I offer them all, standard retail prices are:

0.5 bulk wire depending on the amount ordered 30 Euro per meter single strand.

Cable 1.0
Signal cable length in meters stereo pair terminated with handmade RCA plugs
0.5..……………………………………………………………………………………€. 383.00
1.0..……………………………………………………………………………………€. 500.00
1.5..……………………………………………………………………………………€. 608.00
Other lengths available on request

Cable 2.0
Loudspeaker cable length in meters stereo pair
2x1.....…………………………………………………………………………………€. 488.00
2x2.....…………………………………………………………………………………€. 805.00
2x3.....…………………………………………………………………………………€. 1,125.00
Other lengths available on request

Cheers,

Bert

--

by DeMarko @, Monday, February 09, 2009, 21:52 (5555 days ago) @ Bert

Kondo SPx is more expensive, it is about USD 2000 - 2500 for a 3 meter pair.

RSS Feed of thread