Newly added Showroom page... (BD-Design)

by Bert @, Thursday, August 28, 2008, 17:21 (5722 days ago)

...my own! This because several people asked me about my own private system and to please them and others who would like to know (or what they will find here when they come over for a visit).

Now it is cleaned up, this usually looks different! :blush:

http://www.bd-design.nl/contents/en-us/d227.html

Have fun... :grin:

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Newly added Showroom page...

by GC, Friday, August 29, 2008, 09:33 (5722 days ago) @ Bert

Very very very nice and stylish Bert.

:dance:

GC

by madprofessor ⌂, 27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Saturday, August 30, 2008, 14:14 (5720 days ago) @ Bert

Hallo Bert!
Nice to see Your improvements!
Also nice to see the rack You build! I´m sure it gives some sonic improvements - especially the copper foil helps a lot, as I´ve seen in an own construction!
Best regards
Stephan

by anubisgrau, Tuesday, September 02, 2008, 15:06 (5717 days ago) @ Bert

bert, how big is your room (all dimensions please)? it doesn't look wide to me at all.

also what footers (with bearings) are these at the pics?

by Bert @, Wednesday, September 03, 2008, 14:33 (5716 days ago) @ anubisgrau

bert, how big is your room (all dimensions please)? it doesn't look wide to me at all.

Roughly the room 4,2m wide, 8m long in total and close to 3m high.

also what footers (with bearings) are these at the pics?

The brand name of these are Aurios (mainly used in the industry to decouple microscopes).

Bert

--

by MikeH @, Saturday, September 06, 2008, 02:12 (5714 days ago) @ Bert

Thankyou for sharing Bert,
That shelf is very interesting with the copper screen. I need a new cabinet for my equipment and it gives me lots of ideas. Is there any reason you used copper instead of iron?

I will look for those microscope dampers. We have a ground vibration problem at work which upsets some sensitive equipment, they look like the perfect solution.

by madprofessor ⌂, 27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Saturday, September 06, 2008, 10:27 (5714 days ago) @ MikeH

In case You have a problem with grond vibrations, I suggest to build single boards (I used a sandwhich of MDF-boards, filled with sand) and hang this boards with 4mm steel wire to a rack structure. I also used copper foil for shielding - with very good results!

by Bert @, Saturday, September 06, 2008, 22:59 (5713 days ago) @ MikeH

Hi Mike,

Is there any reason you used copper instead of iron?

Iron is good for shielding magnetical fields but those are not that much present in the air, copper is a very good conductor and therefore better to shield agains electromagnetical fields. Just a feeling though, nothing to explain it in the technical sense..

At least it works! :)

I will look for those microscope dampers. We have a ground vibration problem at work which upsets some sensitive equipment, they look like the perfect solution.

I do not know if these will help agains direct vertical vibrations though as these are not dampers but made from hardened steel combined with bearings within the construction (decoupling).

Perhaps an SSC construction combined with those bearing would isolate more (wires like Stephan suggested) which gives the construction an ulta low resonance frequency.

Bert

--

by Klaus Wilke @, Germany, Sunday, September 21, 2008, 21:05 (5698 days ago) @ Bert

For electromagnetic shielding of Audio components, one might possibly also use a commercially availabel anti-static mat which is grounded by plugging it into the power outlet (connection to the earth wire). Such mats (for example the mat offered by www.conrad.com) are regularly used by professionals for repair of computers, preventing electrostatic charging and resulting damage of sensitive electronic components. In addition, cabinets of Audio components can be easily grounded by connecting them to the mat.

Does anyone have experience with the use of an antistatic mat for shielding Audio components? Does it improve the sound?

by madprofessor ⌂, 27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Sunday, September 21, 2008, 21:17 (5698 days ago) @ Klaus Wilke

Hallo klaus!
The ESD-mats, You mention, are to work with electrostatic sensitive components, like most integrated circuits. Thes circuits - for example computer boards, have in each chip (IC) an overvoltage protection up to 1000 V. The purpose of that ESD mats is to give a kind of connection to earth, to avoid high voltages. Due to that fact, the inner resistance of that mats is in the range of Meg-Ohms. For shielding of audio-equipment, they are absolutely useless! The way Bert went with his equipment stand, , ist very reasonable. You also can use thick alloy plates, copper plates or expensive Mu-metal. I´m experimenting with boards of alloy foam, which give excellent results - also in way of microphonic effects and sonics.
By the way, new ESD-mats have a strong smell of plastic, which I personally dislike...
Best regards
Stephan

RSS Feed of thread