lawnmower experiment (Oris Horns)

by madprofessor ⌂, 27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Monday, June 16, 2008, 12:40 (5765 days ago)

I don´t know, how others feel about it, but for myself there was always the question about spatial reproduction. Is my system it doing right? But how to judge it, when I don´t know how the music was exactly recorded?
So in the weekend I did an experiment: I took two NeumaGC microphones, mounted on a Jecklin Disc. That signal was amplified by a valve microphone amp and than fed directly to a Studer 807 open reel recorder. I placed the microphones next to a piece of garden, where I anyway had to cut the grass. Now moving the lawnmower I knew exactly my positions.
Playing back that tape via my System confirmed, that the spatial reproduction is very good. Also information about hight ( the sound of passing planes)
To me a very satisfying experiment!

lawnmower experiment

by Ivo, Monday, June 16, 2008, 13:29 (5765 days ago) @ madprofessor

Hi,

There are more people doing this kind of test, with Google you can find hi-rez (uncompressed, not messed with) recordings of fireworks shows, or a traing riding past. My system failed when I tried.

I did the mature thing and didn't play the tests anymore. :grin:

Seriously though, I think "live recordings" of every day "soundscape" is a valuable tool. While it's relatively easy to make a synthesizer sound OK on anything, it's just a lot harder to get complex natural acoustic sound together just right.

Ivo

lawnmower experiment

by Ivo, Monday, June 16, 2008, 13:49 (5765 days ago) @ Ivo
edited by Ivo, Monday, June 16, 2008, 13:52

You can find that fireworks recording here:
http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/knowledge%20baSE.htm

It comes with a foreword, describing the risks to your system. Depending on what you have, you might have to be a little (or a lot) careful.

Ivo

lawnmower experiment

by Bert @, Monday, June 16, 2008, 14:15 (5765 days ago) @ Ivo

Thanks for the link Ivo....

...indeed, be careful! :cool:

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

lawnmower experiment

by madprofessor ⌂, 27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Monday, June 16, 2008, 18:19 (5765 days ago) @ Ivo

Thnka for that tip! very funny cause I sometimes work with pyrotechnics...
I think that take is quite impressive on Bert´s super-subwoofer!
Best regards
Stephan

RSS Feed of thread