PM2C with Stamm cones - right enclosure? (Drive Units)

by Stefan Herz, Wednesday, April 30, 2008, 10:24 (5812 days ago)

Hi,

I am new in this forum, so first of all a short story.
A couple of years ago I heard some Lowther applications for the first time. From this Moment on I knew my next loudspeakers will be a Lowther. To choose the right enclosure I heard a lot. But the main fact seems to be the right enclosure - drive unit combination due to some of them were really good, but some!
This year I get a pair of PM2C very cheap but damaged. I searched after a good recone service. One day I had a long call with Mr. Stefan Stamm from Germany. It was really informative and I understand the problems of the original Lowther cones. I send the drive units to him and only a few days later they where back again.
I know the sound of the original Lowther cones the old ones and the new ones. The cones of Mr. Stamm perform much better! I am really happy with them! In my opinion they were really close to AER. Thereby in the www are only a few information about his recone service, I wanted to write it down here… :wink:

But now my question, what will be the right enclosure for this driver? I think of Acousta, but Lowther say no on the page “enclosures to build”. Only a Fidelio seems to work well with a PM2C. Is that right? What are your experiences? Also the enclosures of Mr. Stamm looks very well but no one have any experience with them!?
An Oris-Horn is unfortunately impossible because of the bad wife acception factor!

PM2C with Stamm cones - right enclosure?

by Bert @, Thursday, May 01, 2008, 15:07 (5811 days ago) @ Stefan Herz

Hello Stefan,

Thanks for the information and welcome to the forum.

But now my question, what will be the right enclosure for this driver? I think of Acousta, but Lowther say no on the page “enclosures to build”. Only a Fidelio seems to work well with a PM2C. Is that right?

I do not agree, the PM2C is absolutely not a driver for use in the Fidelio! If Stamm is using the same type of coils as he used before than your driver will have a very, very low Q. This means that it needs a relative short horn (like the Acousta) to get a decent balance out of the sound. If you would use that driver in a Fidelio then you'll notice that the sound will be cold and naked without any warmth or body.

An Oris-Horn is unfortunately impossible because of the bad wife acception factor…

Then trade your wife as this would be the best sounding system for those drivers... :wink:

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

PM2C with Stamm cones - right enclosure?

by Stefan Herz, Friday, May 02, 2008, 09:32 (5810 days ago) @ Bert

Hello Bert,

Thanks a lot for your information.
I know, the Oris-Horns are really brilliant – I heard them at AES in Kassel, Germany.
I endeavour to persuade my wife to accept these “oversized trumpets”…sometimes the right painting works wonders!? Or do you have a transparent edition? :wink:
If my persuasion does not work I will build an Acousta.
If you are interested I will write down the outcomes of this project.

Have a nice weekend!

Stefan Herz

RSS Feed of thread