lowther repairs?? (Drive Units)

by fu_man @, Monday, January 21, 2008, 02:47 (5932 days ago)
edited by unknown, Monday, January 21, 2008, 02:55

A friend of mine here in New Zealand has a pair of Lowhter PM2C's which have been damaged. In looking for someone that can repair or supply materials to repair the cone surrounds he was recommended to the notorious Full-range drivers/Fullrange speakers site.

Knowing their history with AER drivers... I am wondering what their reputation with Lowther repairs are. I am inclined to try to steer him away to a company with less contentious business practices...

Can anyone recommend an alternative? Oceania locale preferable...

thanks!

Tags:

lowther repairs??

by Bert @, Monday, January 21, 2008, 09:38 (5932 days ago) @ fu_man

Hi fu_man,

Can anyone recommend an alternative? Oceania locale preferable...

I can't suggest anything else than the guy you already pointed to for surrounds looking like the ones you'll need unless you want to use different materials for the surround and wires for the spider.

Such a repair will be the last one as it will never detoriate at all and the sound is very good.

For the surrounds you can use thin chamois-leather (you can buy that anywhere) and wire for the coil former.

[image]

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

lowther repairs??

by fu_man @, Wednesday, January 23, 2008, 02:06 (5930 days ago) @ Bert

Thanks Bert,
I was surprised to find out that my friend was familiar with the techniques you suggested.

"...The chamois (soft leather) idea was used by Wharfedale et al in the 60s for surrounds.

The string idea looks like the Goodmans Axiom 80(?) spider suspension, also from the 60s (IIRC)...."

I love the photo too by the way.

Daze,
thanks for the offer!- I will pass that on to my friend and see if he is interested.

Tags:

lowther repairs??

by GC, Tuesday, January 22, 2008, 05:23 (5931 days ago) @ fu_man

Hello,

I have a set of original New Lowther surrounds and spiders for PM speakers. I originally bought them to repair a pair of PM7As, but finally had them done by lowther...

I would sell the kit for 70$ (us). Let me know if you are interested.

Dan

Tags:

Glue removal???

by fu_man @, Wednesday, January 23, 2008, 02:35 (5930 days ago) @ GC
edited by unknown, Monday, March 03, 2008, 12:33

Dan,
Could you please drop me an email.

My friend is very interested but he is a bit concerned about reports that the glue removal might be very difficult.

Does anyone know about any glue removal techniques or solvent for this purpose?

Tags:

Glue removal???

by Bert @, Wednesday, January 23, 2008, 10:03 (5930 days ago) @ fu_man

Hi fu_man,

Does anyone know about any glue removal techniques or solvent for this
purpose?

I guess some evaporating solvent applied locally (little brush) without soaking the paper would be the way to go but I can't guarantee that this is the best way. Never done this myself...

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread