40hz Oris Horn (BD-Design)

by gary @, Saturday, December 01, 2007, 18:14 (5992 days ago)

Hello Bert,some while ago you were planning to develope a front loading 40hz horn,I think it was 1200cm in diameter.What are your thoughts on the subject?Regards Gary.

Tags:

40hz Oris Horn

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Sunday, December 02, 2007, 10:51 (5991 days ago) @ gary

... and since answers are not there yet anyway ... what would be the useage of that ? I mean, with the BD15/Ultra doing 27Hz ?
Or maybe I don't understand ?

Peter

Tags:

40hz Oris Horn

by Frode, Sunday, December 02, 2007, 11:21 (5991 days ago) @ gary

I think it was a 65Hz horn. Unfortunately the old forum is lost, but I found 3 posts at AA that mentions the Oris 65: AudioAsylum

I guess the idea was better integration with the top horn and hornloading at lowest possible frequencies.

Frode

Tags:

40hz Oris Horn

by Ivo, Monday, December 03, 2007, 14:34 (5990 days ago) @ gary

Hi,

If I remember correctly, it was to be a midbass horn, much like the straight midbass horns of Bruce Edgar, only round. It would be baffle mounted and the last version I remember Bert talking about featured a TQWT on the rear of the woofer/baffle for bass down to 35 Hz.

Bert checked for interest, but didn't find much. Mind that he already had the reference cabinets for bass. He later developed the Swing and that seems to be the end of his bass developments for a while.

There are various DIY straight midbass horns to be found on the web, some from very knowledgeable. If really interested, you can probably either find a design or get guidance on designing your own.

Ivo

Tags:

40hz Oris Horn

by Bert @, Monday, December 03, 2007, 14:38 (5990 days ago) @ gary

Hi Gary,

Hello Bert,some while ago you were planning to develope a front loading
40hz horn,I think it was 1200cm in diameter.

Wow, that was a long time ago and a nice project. Pity that not enough people wanted to participate with that idea in those days...

What are your thoughts on the subject?

It would still be an optimal solution for the midbass in terms of speed and dynamics but learning along the way, it would not be the most optimal for me anymore because of the time-aligment issues which has to be solved (could work well in combination with the Orphean though!) and the need of a good bass system below that. The horn was designed for 65Hz and up...

Using such a horn will make a system rather complex too (compared to the Swings as an example) and the gained quality would not be worth the extra money involved (integration issues and such).

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

40hz Oris Horn

by GC, Tuesday, December 04, 2007, 18:45 (5989 days ago) @ gary

Hi Gary

Well it was a 65 Hz horn on paper. I was one of those who wanted to go for it at that times. But not too many followers made this horn come into reality.

However talking horns and even subs, (Berts in particular...ohh how deep and distortionless that goes... brrrrrrr) I made once a frontloader driven by a very strong 10" driver.

Horn length were 6 meters folded. Accoustical filtered at the horn openings.

But the design and the enclosed time alignment problem could not be compensated by means of fiffeling with the passive filter completely.

(Even Berts 65 Hz horn would look funny together with the Orpheans etc.)

However it rumbled very well at 15 Hz.

Here is a pic showing the 500 kg's 400 x 130 x 60 cm's monster and a small little uncomplicated filter hahahaha.... SQRT 4 acoustical minimum phase network aNo 1997.

[image]

The present Oris systems does even far better nowadays.

GC

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread