Wanted : AER MD3 (Drive Units)

by daiwok @, Hong Kong, Sunday, September 30, 2007, 06:44 (6025 days ago)

Hi Everyone,

Let me know if there is anyone who is selling a pair of AER MD3. Currently using Lowther PM4a and was wondering what to expect. Can the PM4a be tamed by changing the phase plug ?

David

Tags:

Wanted : AER MD3

by Bert @, Sunday, September 30, 2007, 12:03 (6025 days ago) @ daiwok

Hi David,

Let me know if there is anyone who is selling a pair of AER MD3. Currently
using Lowther PM4a and was wondering what to expect. Can the PM4a be tamed
by changing the phase plug ?

It depends on how you use the driver (front loaded horn)?

Still, changing phase plugs doesn't help unless you are going to use the big bulb shaped plugs which spread the high frequency energy. Such a construction does not give more body to the sound though...

The AER MD3 will not make it less either, these will probably need to be tamed even more.

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

by daiwok @, Hong Kong, Sunday, September 30, 2007, 12:31 (6025 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert,

Nice to hear from you.

I am using front horns - Azura 204Hz. My friend Rafal bought a pair of AER MD3 from you recently with the new acrylic phase plugs.

I tried the AER and with basically my amps, Supratek Cortese with Yamamoto A-08s and foudn the AER more detailed, more natural, better treble. However, I did like the lowther PM4a, more dyanmic, nicer mids. I wish you coudl have both :grin:

I am using the factory fitted phase plug which are the big wooden door ****s and wondering how the lowther could be tamed a little. Saying that, I do understand that both drivers are different design where the AER has bigger movement, which I assume means better micro dynamics. Both sets of magnets shoudl be very similar in strength I guess.

So I guess what you are saying is even bigger phase plug with exponetial curve to dissipate the treble even further. Beauhorns come into mind now....

Anyway - I liked what I heard, so now I am looking for a pair of second hand AER MD3 for myself. I have seen some on the internet, both badged with www.aer-loudspeakers.com and not www.aer-loudspeaker.com. Filip has advised me that both pairs are still from him, but one pair was sold by the faker and could be tampered with. I guess not easy to find a nice genuine pair:unhappy:

David

Tags:

by Bert @, Sunday, September 30, 2007, 12:57 (6025 days ago) @ daiwok

Hi David,

So I guess what you are saying is even bigger phase plug with exponetial
curve to dissipate the treble even further. Beauhorns come into mind
now....

Problem with such plugs is the "muffled" sound as it does not only spread the energy but also reduces "airyness" due to the reflections close to the coil.

Another way will be electrically as the Azura does not seem to give enough body/warmth to the sound compared to the Oris horns...

You could use a coil with a resistor in parallel to reduce the rising response of the PM4. 1-2mH and the value of the resistor (2-8ohm) to tune the amount of "taming".

This parallel combination of coil and resistor should be connected in series with the driver.

Use any coil/resistor to balance things and once you know which values to use then replace them for quality components (Duelund resistor and preferable the coil too).

Ciao,

Bert

--

Tags:

by daiwok @, Hong Kong, Sunday, September 30, 2007, 13:07 (6025 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert,

Thanks for the kind advice. I will give it ago.

BTW - the wanted item : AER MD3 still stands, so if you or anyone is willing to part, let me know.:grin:

David

Tags:

by daiwok @, Hong Kong, Sunday, September 30, 2007, 13:17 (6025 days ago) @ daiwok

Hi Bert,

with regards to the Azura horns

Azura does not give enough body to the sound compared to the Oris horns

The problem I have is that its quite the opposite. The AER MD3 are more lean in the Azura while the PM4a are more fatter in the mids. My view is that there is too much of the mids. Its like lowther are 300B mids and AER are 45 mids.

So does your advice still stand with regards to the coil and resistor ?

David

Tags:

by Bert @, Sunday, September 30, 2007, 13:25 (6025 days ago) @ daiwok

Hi David,

The problem I have is that its quite the opposite. The AER MD3 are more
lean in the Azura while the PM4a are more fatter in the mids. My view is
that there is too much of the mids. Its like lowther are 300B mids and AER
are 45 mids.

Mids are too strong if there is not enough body (low mids from 400-500Hz and down providing body and warmth to the sound bringing things in balance).

So does your advice still stand with regards to the coil and resistor ?

Yes, that still stands. This "trick" reduces all frequencies above the lower midrange (as a 6dB filter) and stops this filter behaviour depending on the resistor value.

Bert

--

Tags:

by daiwok @, Hong Kong, Sunday, September 30, 2007, 13:44 (6025 days ago) @ Bert

thanks Bert !

I will give it ago and post back the results in due course.

Very much appreciative of your response, even on a Sunday.

David

Tags:

MD3 and MD3B?

by anubisgrau, Sunday, September 30, 2007, 16:11 (6025 days ago) @ daiwok

it seems that some clarification might be needed for whoever is after MD3.

"the runaway" AER is now advertising MD3 as a two way driver and doesn't recommend it for use as a full ranger (although it has one pair of binding posts on the back). OK whoever cares what the fakers say - but it makes a confusion at least. i'm wondering if they know what they're writing about (i apologize if i missed something). pls see:
http://www.aer-loudspeakers.com/eng/md3-e.htm

"the original" AER doesn't mention this:
http://www.aer-loudspeaker.com/html/md_3.html

i must say that with all this BS flying around, i can only support BD's decision to go back to lowthers.

Tags:

by anubisgrau, Sunday, September 30, 2007, 16:14 (6025 days ago) @ daiwok

I tried the AER and with basically my amps, Supratek Cortese with Yamamoto
A-08s and foudn the AER more detailed, more natural, better treble.
However, I did like the lowther PM4a, more dyanmic, nicer mids. I wish you
coudl have both :grin:

maybe, but what's about a dramatic price difference, AER md3 costs 1.500E more new than a PM4A (a pair)..?

Tags:

by daiwok @, Hong Kong, Sunday, September 30, 2007, 16:20 (6025 days ago) @ anubisgrau

and no Phase plug !!:wink:

I have to admit there is so much confusion as there is another driver by FS which looks exacty the same as well.

What's even better they use all the same model numbers as well, just in case you think the looks and websites are not confusing enough.:shame:

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread