my system now (Orphean)

by angeloitacare, Wednesday, September 05, 2007, 05:16 (6050 days ago)
edited by angeloitacare, Wednesday, September 05, 2007, 05:20

hello all

this week i got my new speakers home. Integration of the bass with the Orphean is mutch better than it was before with the K-horns. I followed Bert's idea, and i adopt black half gloss, satin. I think it looks mutch better now, than it was before, piano lack, high gloss. Thanks for that, Bert.

rds, Angelo[image]

Tags:

my system now

by fu_man @, Wednesday, September 05, 2007, 07:10 (6050 days ago) @ angeloitacare

Is that a pair of valves sticking out of the top of the TV?

Seriously though - what an amazing job you have done! The execution of your design is sooo slick. Every detail is tight.

Even though they are not my personal style - horns should be white .. yada yada(you can criticise my rough DIY job when or if I ever finish them and post pics)I have not seen a better build! Congratulations.

Tags:

my system now

by GC, Wednesday, September 05, 2007, 11:08 (6049 days ago) @ fu_man

Is that a pair of valves sticking out of the top of the TV?

Propably something that spontaniously escaped from the inside of the TV..:grin: Note the TV is resting on a shaker....

BTW Congrats Angelo with the speakers.

GC

Tags:

my system now

by bambadoo, Wednesday, September 05, 2007, 08:56 (6049 days ago) @ angeloitacare

Looks absolutely stunning. Congratulations...:yahoo:

Tags:

Nice setup!

by Bert @, Wednesday, September 05, 2007, 11:02 (6049 days ago) @ angeloitacare

I am sure that you enjoy the sound and looks...

Did you moved to a bigger listening room?

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

Nice setup!

by angeloitacare, Wednesday, September 05, 2007, 11:26 (6049 days ago) @ Bert

hello Bert, hi all

apartment and listening room is still the same. But i will soon moove to a house, as my neighbours are not so happy....
I was a little concerned about how bass would sound. But it is fast and tight, and with adjusments, it goes deep too.

rds Angelo

Tags:

my system now

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Wednesday, September 05, 2007, 12:05 (6049 days ago) @ angeloitacare

Well Angelo, you sure did what you intended ( http://forum.bd-design.nl/index.php?id=12556#p12556 )

How did you end up with the bass ? I mean, how lowe does it go ?

Peter

Tags:

my system now

by angeloitacare, Wednesday, September 05, 2007, 12:32 (6049 days ago) @ PeterSt.
edited by angeloitacare, Wednesday, September 05, 2007, 12:36

hello Peter

i can give you only a subjective answer, as i did not do any measurements. it goes deeper than the K-horns were. the plate amp has many parameters, i can adjust the sound to the room. What i am most satisfied, is how fast, controlled and powerful the bass behaves. I think the well braced and thick walls of the cab play a role ; the amp uses bi-polar transistors, what also might contribute to the fast behavior.

rds Angelo

Tags:

my system now

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Thursday, September 06, 2007, 15:40 (6048 days ago) @ angeloitacare

Angelo,

Beautiful workmanship and choices of color and wood grain. I wish I could hear your system.

I need to get off the computer, go to my workshop, and resume applying teak veneer to a pair of Bill Fitzmaurice designed bass horns which I plan to use to replace the bass horns of Klipschorns.

Congratulations on your beautiful speakers.

Don Reid

Tags:

my system now

by Ivo, Thursday, September 06, 2007, 15:50 (6048 days ago) @ Don Reid

Hi Don,

Which one of the Fitzmaurice horns? Are you looking at the subwoofers for home use? I've seen them around and wondered how well they would do for our use. Bill Fitzmaurice recommends them for sub-use only, they say they really don't sound very good above 100 Hz. The pro horns might do better up to Oris crossover ranges, but they're big.

I am very happy with my corner Schmackshorn as bass section. It integrates really well with the midrange, which I hadn't expected myself. It's backloaded, so I expected a messy crossover from horn to direct radiation, making integration with my midhorns more difficult. It sounds fine, though. I have no measurement equipment, so if it sounds good, I'm happy... :wink:

Ivo

Tags:

my system now

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Saturday, September 08, 2007, 16:45 (6046 days ago) @ Ivo
edited by unknown, Saturday, September 08, 2007, 18:48

Hey Ivo,

The Fitzmaurice horns I am finishing up are Home Theater Tubas. I discussed their suitability for use with Oris 150s with Bill F. in good detail including the fact that I would be crossing them over at 160 Hz with a roll off of 96dB per octave. The electrical roll off is only 78 dB/8vo on the AER MD3s in the Oris 150s. The crossover is done with a DEQX. Bill F. convinced me that these horns were suitable for this application.

I am presently using this crossover configuration with the Klipschorn bass bins and the Oris and I am very pleased with the sound except that I really miss the bottom octave of bass notes.

If I don't like the sound of the Fitzmaurice horns with the Oris 150s I plan to use them in a home theater rig with the main speakers being three way d'Appolito towers which I built using Dynaudio drivers. A 60 Hz crossover will put the Fitzmaurice horns in an application where they should really shine.

If I don't like the Home Theater Tubas with the Oris I still have the Klipschorns as well as a pair of ported woofers of my own design which are of heroic size and construction and use JBL 2245H 18" drivers to which I can fall back.

Don Reid

Tags:

my system now

by Ivo, Sunday, September 09, 2007, 13:39 (6045 days ago) @ Don Reid

Thanks, Don!

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread