oris 150 (Oris Horns)

by joespride @, Saturday, July 28, 2007, 05:17 (6117 days ago)

hello all i am in the middle of putting a ultra referance system togeather, but since the web-site change i cant seem to access the instructions for cutting the oris 150 in order to make the bass horn any help would be appreciated:no:

Joe

Tags:

I hope this helps...

by Bert @, Saturday, July 28, 2007, 13:03 (6116 days ago) @ joespride

HOW TO MODIFY YOUR ORIS 150 TO AN ORIS 150/BD15 HORN

The Oris 150/BD15 horn as used with the Oris Reference Ultra system is basically the same horn as the Oris 150. If you already have a used pair of Oris 150's then these horns can easely be modified to become BD15 horns by simply cutting off the end. The place where to cut is the same place where previously the egde of the Oris 150 back chamber ended. You can either cut of the back chamber and use the edge for guidance or you can draw a line, remove the back chamber (if possible) and then cut the horn as shown on the picture.

[img]images/uploaded/image310.jpg[/img]

The additional needed parts to be able to use this modified Oris 150 can be purchased through our shop. When you have all the needed parts and when you are ready to put it all together then the first thing to do is to check how it all comes together.

ASSEMBLING THE ORIS 150/BD15 HORN

Checking:

The whole construction is based on the modified ORIS 150 horn, the special inner MDF ring, the large PVC tube and the outer MDF ring (not shown on this picture).

[img]images/uploaded/image311.jpg[/img]

There is only one logical way to put it together which you will see when you have it all in front of you. If all seems to fit okay then it is time to glue it step by step. The principle, used glue, silicone sealant and the rubber foam is basically the same as done with the Oris 150 and Oris 200 horns.
First step is to glue the special inner MDF ring to the horn with the supplied glue. Sand and clean outside of horn (throat side) and inside of mounting ring before adding the glue to the ring. Place the ring in place and use the large PVC pipe to align the MDF ring nicely horizontal. Add some weight on the ring and leave this for at least 12 hours before you start with the next step.

The next step is to paint all parts first because this would be most easy for your painter to do. Painting can be done later but then it will be harder to deliver clean work in the corner where the outer ring and the large PVC tube are connected. When all is painted or you decided to do this later then you can start with assembling the outer MDF ring to the large PVC tube.

[img]images/uploaded/image312.jpg[/img] [img]images/uploaded/image313.jpg[/img]

The PVC tube has three pre-drilled holes which are used to screw the tube to the outer ring from the inside out. Add silicone sealeant all around the inside of the outer MDF ring and move the ring to its position aligned with the edge of the PVC tube and use the supplied screws to fixate that position. Add the rubber strip with adhesive to the opposite angled inner edge. Next and last step is to add silicone sealant to the inside of the tube (at the place where the tube will meet the outside of the special inner ring) and move the tube over the ring previously glued to the horn with the angled side with the rubber strip facing towards the horn. Turn the tube around so that the silicone sealant is properly divided for a proper bonding. Add weight on the tube so that it is pressed against the hornwall. Leave this for at least 24 hours until the Silicone sealant is dry. The BD15 horn is now ready for use and can be mounted to your bass enclosure with screws, bolts or whatever you prefer and enjoy the given improvement in the mid bass and integration with the Oris 200 horns on top.

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

I hope this helps...

by joespride @, Saturday, July 28, 2007, 17:04 (6116 days ago) @ Bert

thanks so much bert for the information, i am still a little undecided the exact route i will take once my 150 horns arrive i really like the ultra system, but i am also very fond of the onken style bass bin and the 150 with aer on top of that,what makes the decision even harder is the fact that if i choose the ultra i am stuck with that once the horns are cut, no turning back, has anyone by chance compared the 2 styles and have an opinion as to benefits of 1 versus the other

joe

Tags:

Mostly advantages...

by Bert @, Monday, July 30, 2007, 08:26 (6115 days ago) @ joespride

...but that is me talking.

With the smaller horn for your AER the sound becomes more free and what it is missing in the low mids will be provided by your modified Oris 150's. The filter has to be altered though (crossing higher) but the total result will be a cleaner and more dynamic system.

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

Mostly advantages...

by joespride @, Tuesday, July 31, 2007, 00:28 (6114 days ago) @ Bert

ok thanks bert, presently i am using a pair of 200 horns with lowther dx 3 and the compact referance bass bin you suggested, I am awaiting the 150 horns with a pair of aer bd 3 drivers (i know the seller and he bought all direct from you, so no worry of a counterfiet)i am not using a passive just yet rather a marchand active crossover with 220 hz on the tops and 240 hz on the bass as cross points, i guess it looks as though i will go with your ultra design as i am looking to get the best results for my $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ i will say even now i am mighty impressed with your design, i was using klipsch k-horns b-4 moving to the oris set up ..............

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread