Best woofer (not sub) (Drive Units)

by robmatthew @, Monday, June 25, 2007, 23:36 (6122 days ago)

Anyone have an opinion/experience about the best way to cover the range from about 60-80 to 250 Hz to sit under a double ORIS/PM4a system? Frequencies below that range are covered by a Velodyne DD18.

Would horn loading be better or doesn't it matter? Right now I am using a Medallion II with Lowther PM2a's crossed over with the DEQX. However I don't think they have enough guts to handle the double ORIS.

Does polar pattern enter into the equation at these lower frequencies?

Thanks for any help,

Bob

Tags:

Best woofer (not sub)

by Bert @, Tuesday, June 26, 2007, 00:04 (6122 days ago) @ robmatthew

Hi Bob,

Anyone have an opinion/experience about the best way to cover the range
from about 60-80 to 250 Hz to sit under a double ORIS/PM4a system?
Frequencies below that range are covered by a Velodyne DD18.

Thanks for asking around here...I would go for a BD15 in a 100 liter reflex enclosure which will give maximum sensitivity for the frequency range you quote.

Would horn loading be better or doesn't it matter? Right now I am using a
Medallion II with Lowther PM2a's crossed over with the DEQX. However I
don't think they have enough guts to handle the double ORIS.

Does polar pattern enter into the equation at these lower frequencies?

I do not think that the polar pattern would be the most important issue, the sensitivity does. By adding a horn in front of the bass you will get more output for the same power and therefore more dynamic behaviour. Still, the midbass will become more directional and that helps for better integration although using a DEQX this becomes less of importance if you are going to cross with 48dB or so...

Why crossing at 250Hz with a double Oris 150? Should be able to go down a bit more with enough headroom left on the Lowthers (assuming you filter those with the DEQX too).

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

Best woofer (not sub)

by robmatthew @, Tuesday, June 26, 2007, 00:16 (6122 days ago) @ Bert

Thanks, Bert,

I have been crossing at 250 because that area seems to be the best point when looking at the DEQX measurement curves in my room. I just got the other pair of ORIS 150's and do expect to lower the crossover point. I have been in contact with John Kalinowski who loves the four per side ORIS setup. It is a little to imposing for my room (Maybe not...). However he reports response down to 100 Hz with that setup. That is almost low enough to go directly to a sub, but not quite, I think.

A reflex box is certainly a lot easier to build than a horn. If you feel that would work as well as a horn that is very helpful information.

BTW, I am now using the new Fostex 500A magnesium tweeter from 5 kH on up and am quite impressed.

Bob

Tags:

Best woofer (not sub)

by robmatthew @, Tuesday, June 26, 2007, 00:18 (6122 days ago) @ robmatthew

BTW, shouldn't you be in asleep by now. Then again, being an entrepreneur myself, I'm not in bed at 0000 either.
Bob

Tags:

Best woofer (not sub)

by Bert @, Tuesday, June 26, 2007, 00:20 (6122 days ago) @ robmatthew

BTW, shouldn't you be in asleep by now. Then again, being an entrepreneur
myself, I'm not in bed at 0000 either.

Hehe...I will go in a few minutes. Its past 0000 already here! :sleepy:

--

Tags:

Best woofer (not sub)

by Bert @, Tuesday, June 26, 2007, 00:24 (6122 days ago) @ robmatthew

I have been crossing at 250 because that area seems to be the best point
when looking at the DEQX measurement curves in my room. I just got the

250? With the back chambers open then I guess and then still, you can EQ that with the DEQX...

BTW, I am now using the new Fostex 500A magnesium tweeter from 5 kH on up
and am quite impressed.

I have heard more good things about that tweeter....(would be a nice one for Angelo). With the double Oris 150 it would be optimal with the tweeter in the center... (kind of d'Apolito arangment having a wider equal horizontal frequency response).

Bert

--

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread