Singular as subwoofer: FW208N drivers mounted (Singular)

by Giovanni, Ravenna, Sunday, April 01, 2007, 23:54 (6233 days ago)
edited by unknown, Monday, April 02, 2007, 00:18

FW208N arrived safely from Nederland thanks to Bert

[img]images/uploaded/image249.jpg[/img]

Note on top a new baffle concept made with genuine BD-Design pasteboard :lol:

Filter components, preamplifier and stepped pots are still to arrive or to be built, so I'm testing the Singulars using DSP filters and volume control from PC, which drives two DACs and two amps http://forum.bd-design.nl/index.php?id=13443

A serious open baffle wouldn't be a bad idea for FE206E, it sounds very clear and detailed.

FE206E and FW208N sound great together, with same character. The bass is just if FE206E were there, but much much more thick and louder.

FW208N with their 29 FS don't go so low inside Singulars: 45-50hz, then undistinct uumm (Singular t-line lenght?).

But, of course, this is the beginning, maybe DSP filters work bad and I've still to try good passive filters.

Tags:

Singular as subwoofer: FW208N drivers mounted

by Bert @, Monday, April 02, 2007, 14:56 (6232 days ago) @ Giovanni

Hi Giovanni,

Thanks for sharing!

Yes, using quality material for the panel is a major advantage... :grin:

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

Singular with FW208N: working progress

by Giovanni, Ravenna, Thursday, April 12, 2007, 13:52 (6222 days ago) @ Bert

Pots, preamp and filters are still on the way, so I'm breacking in the FW208N using filters in the digital domain, as well as volume control.

The configuration is like this (without pre and pots), but with 41HZ AMP10 (TA2022 at ~30W) driving FE206E and UCD180AD (~80W) driving FW208N:

http://forum.bd-design.nl/index.php?id=13443

Playing loud, digital volume doesn't cause so much losses in resolution.

The two driver match very well. Playing Sonatas for single instruments it looks like a pure fullrange system. Piano solo is what has gained most. Fast scales from lower to higher notes (Chopin studies for istance) have nice continuity in timbers.

There is a difference though: woooooooonderfull bass :cool: Fast, natural, distinct. The room seems to have doubled its real size.

Now the problem. Singulars with FW208N can go low, I measured even 35Hz thick sounds with a microphone, but under 50Hz the sound starts to be confused and indistinct. Double basses in an orchestra are wonderful, but when playing lowest notes (at the beginning of Brahms German Requiem, for istance) the sound is more a hum than a double bass timber.

Maybe it is for Singulars TL is tuned not so low? Anyway I've still to try proper filtering and finish breack-in.

P.S.

Of course I replaced pasteboard open baffles with... well... you know... diyers like to be busy... fiberglass is easy to work with... OK here it is:

[img]images/uploaded/image251.jpg[/img]

Tags:

by Bert @, Thursday, April 12, 2007, 13:57 (6222 days ago) @ Giovanni

Hi Giovanni,

Maybe it is for Singulars TL is tuned not so low? Anyway I've still to try
proper filtering and finish breack-in.

I think that the placement is not the most optimal...give them some freedom.

Of course I replaced pasteboard open baffles with... well... you know...
diyers like to be busy... fiberglass is easy to work with... OK here it is

Nice job! What flare did you use? Are you sure it sounds better than the pasteboard... :grin:

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

by Giovanni, Ravenna, Thursday, April 12, 2007, 14:53 (6222 days ago) @ Bert

Speakers placement, of course... :blush: There is not so much room but I'll try.

Nice job! What flare did you use? Are you sure it sounds better than the
pasteboard... :grin:

Just calculated a tractrix horn with James Melhuish applet with 150Hz cutoff and 20 cm diameter throat. I have another former ready with a smaller throat. The horns are not yet ready, are there for check, unpainted and with the driver coupled with adhesive tape. Nonetheless the sound quality is enough to impress my friends professional orchestrals, with their own music :grin:

Tags:

by MikeH @, Thursday, April 12, 2007, 14:52 (6222 days ago) @ Giovanni

The singular driver is at ear level when sitting. That makes the horn driver a little bit too high. Unless you like to stand?
Although if that was a significant problem Bert would have said so.

Try turning the singular upside down so the bass driver is near the floor (will this cause problems??) you will need to stick the damping material from the (old) bottom in place.

then you can put the back chamber of the horn directly on top of the singular with the horn sticking out the front, this puts the drivers at the same distance from the listener, a good thing for more coherent imaging (I think)

Having the bass driver closer to the floor might even be a positive thing for your low frequency troubles.

Check with the experts before you take anything I say seriously of course. I might be completely wrong.

Tags:

by Giovanni, Ravenna, Thursday, April 12, 2007, 15:25 (6222 days ago) @ MikeH

Hi

thanks, that is a something easy to do. I'll make that try.

Ciao

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread